AnsweredAssumed Answered

Cartesian Relationships

Question asked by j.hall on Aug 26, 2014
Latest reply on Aug 26, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

Cartesian Relationships

Ok, so I'm in the middle of a debate and I want to see if I can find a better way than what I'm doing. What I'm doing is working, but as we know that doesn't mean it's always the best way to do something. And it's a bit slow for my tastes to be honest.

I have 2 tables, Strip Inventory and String Design related with a Cartesian relationship based on the String Number. On the layout I have two portals that use this relationship and use filtering. On the right it shows all the available strips and allows you to "Move" them to the portal on the left that shows the strips that have been assigned to the string design. The portal on the right can be filtered with global variables so that you can filter out the list. But a strip may be used once and only once and there is almost 25000 records in that table.

I can't filter things in the relationship directly So I'm wondering...

Which would be better (or if someone has a better solution I'm all Ears.. Phil I'm looking at you :) )

Solution A) break the cartesian relationship and use 2 additional TOs to relate one for the right portal and one for the left and then set the portal on the right to have a relationship based on the global fields selection?

Solution B) Setup another field in the String Design table that I can filter out "Used" strips?

Solution C) No, I'm already doing it the best way anyone can think of?

Thanks

Hope to hear from you soon.

Outcomes