AnsweredAssumed Answered

Cascading conditional lookups, keep final result only?

Question asked by sgbotsford on Feb 25, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 26, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

Cascading conditional lookups, keep final result only?

I've got a 4 tier conditional lookup working now.  How do I store just the end result?

More detail

Inventory has a field called code.  This is an abbreviation I can use in a relation to pick up any chunk of the related species I need.

Plants has large amount of information about each species/cultivar I grow. 

I have a 4 tier set of conditional lookups.  They mostly work.  E.g.

Class has a choice of Leaf or Cone.  Pick Cone.  Genus now has a list of Picea, Abies, Larix  Pick Larix.  Now I have a choice of larcina or siberica.  Pick larcina.  Now I have a choice of code of LarLar.

Ok that works:  Sort of. 

1.  As soon as I make a pick from the top tier, how do I clear the next ones.

2. At the 4th level there is only one possible code.  But I still have to click it to make it change.  How do I default to the first available value?

3.  I don't want to do all of this in the inventory table.  I only want to store the final code in the inventory table. 

At present my tactic for this is to add a third table "Do_Lookup" that actually does the lookups.  Once code is determined, a script updates the current inventory record with the value of code, then deletes the single record in do_lookup.  Is there a better way to do this? 

(Eventually, Code will have a button that will bring up a popover to do all of this.)

Barking up the wrong tree?  Barking mad?

Outcomes