3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2014 5:13 AM by rzach

Cascading tables issue .... yet again

rzach

Title

Cascading tables issue .... yet again

I would not have been able to progress without the help of other posts in this forum.  I admit it took me a long time to work it out ... and I am almost there.  I must acknowledge here my thanks to mark sanders.

However

I am developing a database with cascading tables

tab1::index -> tab2::index -> tab3::index

tables 2 and 3 have an index, a name, a pointer to the previous field and a global field.  This last field is used to create restricted lists with the index and the name which is the SHOW value.

Then I create a layout where I place drop-down fields attached to dynamic list to restrict choices down the "cascade".

It all works fine EXCEPT that instead of showing the second value of the dynamic list it shows the index.  Only when I press the down arrow in the drop-down field do the names associated with the index appear. This is extremely confusing!
           How can I refresh the drop down so it shows names rather than indexes?

• 1. Re: Cascading tables issue .... yet again
          philmodjunk

Try clicking a blank area of the layout outside of any portals first and then entering the field with the value list. Does that work?

If so, you need to commit records before entering the field and this can be done via script trigger on the field or fields that you modify before you enter this field.

• 2. Re: Cascading tables issue .... yet again
            rzach

Kudos.  I will try it and let you know.  Thank you so very much for your help.

R,

• 3. Re: Cascading tables issue .... yet again
              rzach

I have been playing around the whole problem believing I was "talented". Reality has caught up with me when I finally gave up and read the manual!  (please do not make me feel like a h... Ass)

In fact, the problem is clearly described in the last page of lesson 13 - before the exercises.  The problem is that the solution offered there proves yet again my incompetence.  I do not understand a thing!  H E L P!

“Because of this behavior, if you are using a value list that only shows values from the second field—and you prefer to use a drop-down list rather than a pop-up menu—it is common to place a non-enterable, opaque field directly on top of a field formatted as a drop-down list. The masking field is typically a related field that contains the values displayed as the second field in the value list. Users clicking on the field would activate the hidden field formatted as a drop-down list, and then after making a selection and exiting the field, they would continue to see the data from the second field rather than the key stored in the field itself.”