Cascading Update for Inventory Item Location
Newbie here, using FM12.
I have a db with inventory items, which are all stored in different locations. I have a [Locations] table which sort of works like an order details table linked to the [Item] table.
ItemID (on [Items])
What I'd like to be able to do is:
1. Scan barcode of Item
2. Scan barcode of parent location
3. Update higher level data into current field.
I have previously recorded that Box #5 is in Building 1, Room 2, Row 3, Shelf 4, Pallet 5
I want to put Item #22 into box #5. So I scan Item #22 and Scan Box #5, and then want the rest of the fields to note that it is in Building 1, Room 2, etc.
I want this to cascade (upwards, I think) so that if I can go to the warehouse and make changes to any part of this storage chain (move the pallet to a different shelf, Row, Room, Building and still know where the item is.)
SO: If I move box #5 to a different pallet, shelf, etc. all I would need to do is scan Box #5 and the new pallet/shelf/ etc. # and I would have the current location of any part of the location of the item. (because the item is still in Box #5)
- not worried about the scanning scripts in this post
- Some items can be in a room but not on a shelf, not on a row, pallet, etc.
- I am not only concerned with where the item is, I am also concerned with where it has been
Not sure I am going about this the right way... any thoughts would be appreciated!