AnsweredAssumed Answered

Cascading Update for Inventory Item Location

Question asked by SkipperID on Nov 8, 2012
Latest reply on Nov 21, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Cascading Update for Inventory Item Location

Hi 

Newbie here, using FM12. 

I have a db with inventory items, which are all stored in different locations. I have a [Locations] table which sort of works like an order details table linked to the [Item] table. 

LocationRecordID (PK)
     ItemID (on [Items])
     Building
     Room
     Row
     Shelf
     Pallet
     Box

What I'd like to be able to do is: 
     1. Scan barcode of Item
     2. Scan barcode of parent location
     3. Update higher level data into current field.

For example:
     I have previously recorded that Box #5 is in Building 1, Room 2, Row 3, Shelf 4, Pallet 5

I want to put Item #22 into box #5. So I scan Item #22 and Scan Box #5, and then want the rest of the fields to note that it is in Building 1, Room 2, etc. 

I want this to cascade (upwards, I think) so that if I can go to the warehouse and make changes to any part of this storage chain (move the pallet to a different shelf, Row, Room, Building and still know where the item is.)

SO: If I move box #5 to a different pallet, shelf, etc. all I would need to do is scan Box #5 and the new pallet/shelf/ etc. # and I would have the current location of any part of the location of the item. (because the item is still in Box #5)

Notes: 
     - not worried about the scanning scripts in this post
     - Some items can be in a room but not on a shelf, not on a row, pallet, etc.
     - I am not only concerned with where the item is, I am also concerned with where it has been

Not sure I am going about this the right way... any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Outcomes