2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2014 4:33 PM by CarletonFox

Categorized information when imported into FileMaker

CarletonFox

Title

Categorized information when imported into FileMaker

I have an Excel spread sheet with a list that includes Names, Business, and Attorney firms. I would like to know how to break up the name to first, last, and middle initial.

I also would like to separate out the business name that goes with the person in a designated field in the same record.

And finally separate out the attorney firm that goes with the person also into a designated field in the same record.

Each of these names are on a separate line in and I want them to be in a single record in a designated field.

How do I accomplish this?

• 1. Re: Categorized information when imported into FileMaker
          philmodjunk

With great difficulty. Messy data = messy calculations and problematic results--no mater what software tool is used. This is particularly the case for parsing a full name into 3 separate name fields given the many different idiosyncratic formats a name can take. If you have a lot of names to import, you are likely to be able to set up something that works well for nearly all your data, but leaving you with some names that need manual correction after the fact.

There are a number of text functions you can use to parse the name text either during or after the initial import of data. I'd provide a possible sample, but I don't know enough about the text you will need to parse into separate name fields. Is it in a Last Name, First name Middle name format? Or something else?

And that's just for your name data. FileMaker imports data from an Excel or text (tab,csv, merge..) file on a one row = one record basis. If you have multiple rows of data that you want to combine into fields of the same record, you'll have to import this data into a "staging table" and then use a script to process this data into the records of your destination table.

Again, given the lack of detail in your first post, I can only provide a general outline of how you might go about as the devil is truly in the details here.

• 2. Re: Categorized information when imported into FileMaker
            CarletonFox

I am looking to accomplish 3 different things...

1. Separate out the name which is listed-Last-First-Middle Initial

2. The Company is on another line that does not need to be Parsed, I just want to assign this information to a field in the filemaker record.

3. The same goes for the law firms.