6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2009 11:42 AM by Jade

centering objects

GW1

Title

centering objects

i have an grouping of objects and fileds that i use in a tab.  i want to use a very similar but not identical set of objects and fields in other tabs.  as i click from tab to tab the group "jumps" around in the tabs, ie it is not centered within each tabe but is sitting in a slightly different position in each tab.  how can i allign these groupings so that they are in the same exact location in the different tabs so as you click from tab to tab the is no "jumping" and it appears smooth a professional?

thanks

• 1. Re: centering objects
          Jade

First, when in layout mode, select the group and tab and try Align (Centers and Middles) from the Arrange menu.

If that doesn't do it, select the group and adjust the x, y coordinates in the Object Info pallet (from the View menu).  Since your groups are not identical, you may have to ungroup them and adjust the coordinates on each field to match those on the other tab(s).

• 2. Re: centering objects
            philmodjunk

GW,

If I undestand you correctly, you are using the tab control correct? You want the objects in file tab 1 to match the alignment of File tab 2 so that there's no visible "twitch" when the user clicks back and forth between file tabs, right?

1. Enter layout mode and pull down the view menu.
            2. Select T-Squares
            3. A set of alignment "cross-hairs" now are visible.
            4. Drag these cross-hairs to align with the corner of a field on tab 1.
            5. Click to tab 2
            6. Align the same corner of a field on this tab to the cross-hairs.

The position of your two objects on two different tabs should now match.

You can also select View | Object info to get size and position information on selected objects.

• 3. Re: centering objects
              Jade
                 Maybe it's my eyesight, but I found using the T-Squares to be hit-and-miss especially on dark backgrounds.  When I key in the x-y coordinates in the Object Info pallet, I get an exact alignment.
              • 4. Re: centering objects
                philmodjunk

Jade wrote:
                Maybe it's my eyesight, but I found using the T-Squares to be hit-and-miss especially on dark backgrounds.  When I key in the x-y coordinates in the Object Info pallet, I get an exact alignment.

As in many problems, there are many possible solutions. If I enlarge the view to maximum, then use the arrow keys to nudge objects one pixel at a time to get the desired alignment. If I had a dark background, I'd temporarily change the background color until finished with this tool.

I like the T-Square for this kind of operation because it will "stay put" while clicking back and forth between multiple tabs.

You can also select an object on tab 1. Click to tab 2. Hold down shift and click to select an object on tab 2 and then use the aligment pallet to align the two objects.

• 5. Re: centering objects
                  GW1

thanks so much guys.  both techniques (t-squares and object palette) work perfectly.

a follow-up newbie sort of question.  if i am using the object palette and it has distance in 4 directions (up,down,left,right) and i am using those numbers to align objects, is there a way to quickly copy all four numbers when i am working on the next object or do i have to flip back and forth and get each number separately.  i can't keep 4 somewhat random numbers in my head at the same time.  i guess i could write them down on a piece of paper.

• 6. Re: centering objects
                    Jade

Hi GW,

I just jot them down… it's faster.   BTW: you only need the first 2 numbers (left and top) if the matching fields are the same size.