AnsweredAssumed Answered

Certain fields only appear once in a report?

Question asked by Peakoverload on Nov 18, 2009
Latest reply on Nov 19, 2009 by philmodjunk

Title

Certain fields only appear once in a report?

I have a database that records any defects that occur on projects and which member of staff was responsible for it and it also records any training that was given to members of staff.

I then have a list view layout where I can search for a member of staff and it then shows me a list of all the defects and training they've had. This all works well enough but I only need the fields from one particular table to appear once in the report whereas at the moment they repeat for each record found.

What I mean is that I have a StaffDetails table which records their name, position, date they joined and their photo. I then have a defects table that records details of the defect and a training table that records details of any training given.

In my report layout I have the fields from the StaffDetails table and then the relevant fields from the defects and training tables. When I search for a member of staff in this layout I want the report to appear like this:

Staff Name

Staff Position

Staff Photo

Staff Joined Date

Date of defect

Details of defect

<these last two fields repeat for however number of records are found>

Date of training

Details of training
<these last two fields repeat for however number of records are found>

However what currently happens is this for every single record found

Staff Name

Staff Position

Staff Photo

Staff Joined Date

Date of defect

Details of defect

Date of training

Details of training

So in other words for each record found all the above fields appear. Also if say a member of staff has 10 defect records and only 1 training record then the training record appears alongside each defect record.

Is there a way to produce a layout where it will only show the staff details at the top of the list, then show any defect and training records in date order without repeating any records if there are not the same amount of training records as there are defect records?

</newbie>

Outcomes