4 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2009 1:34 PM by TuxfordC

Change being partially ignored

TuxfordC

Title

Change being partially ignored

While altering an address label layout to print on a different sized sheet, I made a change to

one line by adding an If calculation involving two fields instead of a straight out print of a single

field.  FM ignored this change by continuing with the  single field print for all records stored

before I made this change. Data added after the change was printed as I wanted.

To overcome this, I had to cancel the data in the ignored field and re-enter the same words into it.

Is this normal behaviour for FM?  It would seem to prevent me making any future changes in

the way that data is handled.

TuxfordC.

• 1. Re: Change being partially ignored
          raybaudi

TuxfordC wrote:

... I made a change to one line by adding an If ...

Hi

I'm pretty sure that that wasn't a calculation field, but a text field with option of aut-enter a calc.

• 2. Re: Change being partially ignored
            TuxfordC

Hi Daniele,

What I first had was a text field calculated from two input data fields - a

person's first name and their last name.  The users wanted it changed so that if a married

couple lived at that address, both their names would show on the address label.  So,

I changed the calculation by adding 'If'  which tested to see if the person was married,

and would use both of their names.  If the person was single, it reverted to the original

first and last name.   What worries me (a bit) is that the program ignored all of the married

couples who had been entered before I made the change.  All of the data was there but FM

would not use it unless I deleted the married names and re-entered them.

My calculation works well, but only on data that has been entered after I changed it.  Surely

FM should be able to read right through a list of records and calculate from them, regardless of

when they were entered?

Thanks,

Gordon

• 3. Re: Change being partially ignored
              raybaudi

TuxfordC wrote:

My calculation works well, but only on data that has been entered after I changed it.

As I said, this is because your field isn't a calculated field with text result... it is a normal text field with option to auto-enter a calculated value.

If you trasform it into a calculation, ALL your records will be recalculated.

• 4. Re: Change being partially ignored
                TuxfordC

HI Daniele,

Ah, now I understand the problem.  Have changed it to a Calc' and all is fixed.

Obviously, I have a lot to learn about FM.

Many thanks,

Gordon