2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2013 11:49 AM by JesseChapman

Change container field into a text field without losing text?

JesseChapman

Title

Change container field into a text field without losing text?

Essentially, here's my problem. Someone accidentially created a field as a container field. We didn't realize this until recently. So we can't search text in there. But all the data in that field is text. What's the easiest way to convert that field into a text field, or copy the data over into a new field? 

The only way I can see to do this is to go line by line and copy and paste the text into a new container. But it's hundreds and hundreds of entries. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Change container field into a text field without losing text?
          philmodjunk

Define a text field and put it on your layout.

Show All Records

Put the cursor in this new field and select Replace Field Contents.

Use the calculation option with an expression such as:

GetAsText ( YourContainerField )

Note, the 'text' stored in a container field is usually the file path and file name of the inserted file if "store a reference" was specified. If these are text fields inserted as objects, manually double clicking the field record by record to open the embedded file is the only way that you can access the text in them. If they were inserted with "Store a reference", and they are text fields, you can try importing the data from these files into FileMaker, though that may have its own set of challenges to resolve.

• 2. Re: Change container field into a text field without losing text?
            JesseChapman

I just need to say that one year ago, this fixed my problem immediately. I just had this same problem trying to figure out how to do this, and realized that I had already posted this question. Thank you SO MUCH for saving me hours and hours of copying and pasting.