3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2010 8:39 AM by philmodjunk

Change field contents on Show All Records

RGoyette

Title

Change field contents on Show All Records

I am using FileMaker Pro version 11 (windows and mac) to display information which can be groomed to show specific operating cycles (2009-A, 2009-B, 2010-A, 2010-B, etc) or to show all records.  One layout will display which operating cycle you are viewing.  The issue I have is when a user clicks the "show all records" icon in FM Pro.  The field which displays the operating cycle still says 2010-B (for example).  How can I trap the event of a user clicking Show All Records, so I can change the field to read "All Proposals"?

• 1. Re: Change field contents on Show All Records
          philmodjunk

What kind of field is this?

Is this a global field formatted as a drop down list or Pop Up menu for selecting the desired cycle?

Is there then a script trigger that performs a find or Go To Related recors to pull up the desired cycle?

If so, is there then an "all" option in this list for showing all records?

Do you have FileMaker advanced? (This would allow a custom menu based fix for this issue.)

• 2. Re: Change field contents on Show All Records
            RGoyette

Global text field with a pop up menu that runs a grooming script based on the selected operating cycle. (script trigger OnObjectModify).  There is an All Proposals option to display all proposals.  I have Advanced, but some of my users have generic FileMaker Pro 11.

• 3. Re: Change field contents on Show All Records
              philmodjunk

As long as you have advanced, you can set up a custom menu. (It will work with non-advanced, you just have to open the file with advanced to make any changes you might need to make to the custom menu.)

In your custom menu for this layout, you can either remove the Show All Option or you can replace it with a script that includes a step to update your global with the "all proposals" option when they select Show All, click it's icon or use the keyboard shortcut for it.