4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2014 1:13 PM by HugoLidia

Change of router means FM Database doesn't share???

HugoLidia

Title

Change of router means FM Database doesn't share???

2 months ago we replaced all our PCs to Windows 8.1 running FM 12, with a shared database on a local network.

All Works perfectly, shared Access to FM Database, printers, internet etc etc.

I wish to change my ISP and have their router running and providing ADSL.

If we simply unplug our network cables from the old ADSL provider and plug them into the new ISP's router everything like shared folders, printers internet Access etc Works perfectly, as one would expect.

The only thing that does not work - Filemaker.  The second machine that is not hosting the FM database, can attempt to Access the database that machine 1 has open.  Machine 2 sees machine 1, it is listed as the favorite host, but it CANNOT SEE THE FILE.

Can't get my head around what could be inhibiting the file being visible on the second machine.

Any advice would be appreciated - to me it must a setting on the router, but I can't for the life of me think or see what.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Change of router means FM Database doesn't share???
          philmcgeehan

I imagine the IP address of any connected devices will have changed. These are assigned by the router automatically, by default. If you've changed your router, then the IP addresses will have been reassigned and may be different.

The file may show up in your favourite hosts list, as this is a list of shortcuts.

I'd recommend you clear your favourite hosts and files and reopen the file by browsing for it (Open Remote...) and looking in local hosts.

• 2. Re: Change of router means FM Database doesn't share???
            HugoLidia

Thanks Phil_1986,

Yes what you say is a consideration, however, as i said, each machine once switched over physically by changing the cables, has been reallocated a new Ip ( by DHCP from the router) and it was checked.  Hence the machines are able to print and share files.  ( I agree if the old IP was retained they could also do that) but it was checked form the "ipconfig /all " command line that the machines were  now on the new router network (esseentially changed from 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 to 192.168.1.1  with sub net mask of 255.255.255.0.

Thanks for the input anyway.  ANy other ideas  - it is strange.

NB.  The hosts file for Filemaker was removed and reset, but is there a cache that needs to be cleared??

• 3. Re: Change of router means FM Database doesn't share???
              Kaps_1

silly thought but have you tried moving the database to the other machine (Machine 2) and see if Machine 1 can see it ?

• 4. Re: Change of router means FM Database doesn't share???
                HugoLidia

Yes KAPS.  This is what makes if frustrating as to where is issue could be.  If DB is hosted on Machine 2, fine Machine 1 can open remote and share.  If machine 2 opens a FMDB that is on Machine1m it can be shared back to Machine 1.  Just Machine 1 cannot share its own FM DB over the network