8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2009 12:16 PM by BobSchwenkler

Change one field and make others change with it (FM demo files)

BobSchwenkler

Title

Change one field and make others change with it (FM demo files)

Hi all,

I'm new to Filemaker and am studying the demo files available for download from the website.

I'm working right now with the sales order database and layouts. In its form view you are able to click on the contact name and select a contact from the value list. When you make a selection all of the associated shipping info changes to correspond with this contact. I can't figure out what is doing this though.

I've narrowed it down to something about the relationship between this DB and the contacts DB. When I create another instance of the contacts DB and make the same relationship this function is no longer working. Any help on what is going on here?

• 1. Re: Change one field and make others change with it (FM demo files)
          TSGal

Bob Schwenkler:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, I am unable to find the "Sales Order" database on our web site.

In Form view, if you are able to select a name from a value list, you can view how this is created by pulling down the View menu, selecting "Layout Mode", and then double-clicking on the Name field.  It will show you a value list, where you can also edit and see how that works.  This may give you the help needed for what you are trying to do.

If you still need help, let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Change one field and make others change with it (FM demo files)
            BobSchwenkler

Hi,

The file in question is the Business Productivity Kit available at this page

http://www.filemakertrial.com/nskto/download_land/default.aspx?ovmkt=1DED1AE6610A4B6283F936C122E1D461&WT.mc_id=1DED1AE6610A4B6283F936C122E1D461&entry=076E64AA-5BC1-45B2-88E6-C5956BEF782D

Sorry for the long address, hopefully the link isn't specific to my computer. It is a Database solution available from filemakertrial.com.

What is happening on this layout is more than just using a value list. There are a number of different fields like name, address, city, state, email, phone, etc. The name field has a dropdown menu of all the names available from a value list. When you select any given name all the information in the rest of the previously mentioned fields is refreshed to match the contact name you chose. It's this changing of multiple displayed fields at once that I'd like to figure out how to emulate.

If you can't access the file in question I could temporarily upload it to my site or email it or something else...

• 3. Re: Change one field and make others change with it (FM demo files)
              davidanders
                 If you look at the definition of one of the fields that change, you will see that is using a relationship that links Name in the database or table you are looking at to Name in another database or table that contains all the information about the people.
              • 4. Re: Change one field and make others change with it (FM demo files)
                BobSchwenkler

This is the case, but when I try to recreate this relationship even within the same file this action I'm describing (changing multiple displayed fields at once) doesn't work. If I create another instance of the database that is being linked to and create the same relationship between the same fields it no longer works.

It may be too vague to try to describe using words alone. If anyone is willing and able to access this file to check out what I'm talking about that would be great, otherwise I can just keep working to figure it out myself.

Thanks for the responses so far and hopefully my lack of knowledge of Filemaker specific terminology isn't too much of an impediment here.

• 5. Re: Change one field and make others change with it (FM demo files)
                  davidanders

The Billing Name is a simple text field with dropdown.

The other Billing fields are calculations and have auto enter as that calculation

with validation set to always evaluate (not just at data entry)

Thanx for asking, I am not sure I have seen that behavior before.

I am not sure if the address fields will remain accurate if the billing information is

changed in the Contacts field, but I guess that would not matter. 

• 6. Re: Change one field and make others change with it (FM demo files)
                    BobSchwenkler

So I'm still stuck on this issue. I'm going to upload a slightly modified copy of the file in question.

www.bicyclerecordings.com/various/FMExample.zip

You can open up the Main Menu database and then navigate to Sales Orders. If you go to the manage databases window for this file there are 3 tables. One is the table the layout is based upon (Sales Orders). The other two are links to the same external source, the Contacts database. Contacts Ship To 1 is the original table that was included with the demo files. Contacts Ship To is another instance of the same DB that I created myself.

In the layout if you change the Ship To person's name in the dropdown menu, all their information changes as well.

Go back into manage databases and delete the existing relationship between Sales Orders and Contacts Ship To 1 and recreate it using the Contacts Ship To table. Then go back to the layout and try it again. It doesn't work anymore and I am stuck with figuring out why.

• 7. Re: Change one field and make others change with it (FM demo files)
                      TSGal

Bob:

After you change the relationship, the Ship To fields lose their relationship to the "Contacts Ship To 1" table.  Therefore, you have to go into "Manage -> Database..." and change the Auto-Enter options to reference the "Contacts Ship To" table.

For example, the calculated value for the "Ship To Email" is "Contacts Ship To 1::Email".  Change this calculation to "Contacts Ship To::Email".  Do this for each of the other fields you want to reference.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.