9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 2:38 AM by BatuhanGizer

Change over from fm 11 to 12 question

BatuhanGizer

Title

Change over from fm 11 to 12 question

Hello,

I am currently using filemaker 11 pro on my laptop but I decided to buy FM 12 pro to my office.  Another user will use FM 12 on this new computer so my new computer will be the remote and main FM for my office with FM 12.  Currently all of my files are FM 11 and I will continue to use FM 11 on my laptop. Does anyone know if I will have any problems when I copy all my FM 11 files from my laptop to the new computer with FM 12 and when the databases are shared from remote, will I be able to see them from my laptop with FM 11? 

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Change over from fm 11 to 12 question
          ninja

Howdy Batuhan,

Filemaker 11 and 12 are entirely different platforms.  They will NOT interact with each other.

Moving from FMP11 to FMP12 is an "All or nothing" proposition.

FMP12 in your office will not see the FMP11 files on your computer beyond asking "Do you want to convert these to FMP12 now?"

If you convert them to 12, you will not be able to open them in FMP11 anymore.

You say "...I will continue to use FM11 on my laptop."  If this is true, you'd better have FMP11 on everything.  Or convert everything to FMP12.

• 2. Re: Change over from fm 11 to 12 question
            BatuhanGizer

As far as I know, I can't purchase license and download FMP 11 from filemaker web site anymore can I? If so, I would rather continue on FMP 11 but if not, as I understand, I have to upgrade to FMP 12 on my laptop as well?

• 3. Re: Change over from fm 11 to 12 question
              philmodjunk

I'd contact customer service and ask about getting FMP 11. Last time this issue came up, it was still possible to get a "downgrade" purchase of FileMaker 11 if you requested it. (But they charge you the same price as buying FMP 12.)

• 4. Re: Change over from fm 11 to 12 question
                BatuhanGizer

The only thing I am concerned about is the database.  If I get FMP 12 for both the computer in the office and for my laptop and convert my current FMP 11 files to FMP 12 in the new office computer (host), I won't have any problems with my tables/layouts/relationships etc. ?

• 5. Re: Change over from fm 11 to 12 question
                  ninja

I have not had any issues with conversion...but MAKE SURE that you batch convert related files.

I simply took all the files from my host and converted them all at once.  Easy, with no relatioship issues found so far.

• 6. Re: Change over from fm 11 to 12 question
                    philmodjunk

I would convert and test with FileMaker 12 a bit before reaching the conclusion that everything converetted correctly. There are some issues/behavior changes that occur with FileMaker 12, but most of them will affect you as the developer more than the user.

On the other hand, I've seen a report where the users were unable to print to their printer without issues after the upgrade as their dot matrix printer driver was apparently incompatible with FileMaker 12, so Caveat Emptor.

If you haven't already purchased 12, downloading the trial, converting your files and testing them makes a safe way to see if there are any issues before you spend $$ on the upgrade.

• 7. Re: Change over from fm 11 to 12 question
                      BatuhanGizer

Good idea. I downloaded the trial version of FMP 12 and currently there are no problems except with a container field.  I have a container field for some scanned items which seemed to work in FMP 11 is now not working in the trial version.  After right click, insert file and choose which file, when I double click the field, it doesn't seem to do anything. 

• 8. Re: Change over from fm 11 to 12 question
                        philmodjunk

You weren't using insert object before were you? Or Drag and Drop from outside of FIleMaker? Insert Object is not supported in FileMaker 12 and Drag and Drop now does an Insert Picture action.

Files inserted with Insert FIle and "store a reference"  can be opened with a double click in both FileMaker 11 and 12. But only if you do not select teh new option on the Inspector's data tab to optimize the field for interactive content.

So either you didn't select "Store a reference" or perhaps you updated the layout design to optimize it for interactive content? (This option doesn't offer you anything when using Insert FIle anyway, it's useful for insert PDF and for inserted media files.)

• 9. Re: Change over from fm 11 to 12 question
                          BatuhanGizer

Drag and drop now works as well as choosing store a reference box after Insert File option.  

Thanks!