4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2009 9:16 PM by davidhead

Change Password

alubiw

Title

Change Password

The Change Password script is supposedly web compatible, but when I do something like the example given in the Help, specifically

Change Password []

it doesn't work.  I have Full Access Privileges set on my script. 

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is it just that "web compatible" only means the "without dialog" flavour.

I guess my bigger question is: how can I force someone to change their password right away (not on the next log in) when they're accessing via the web.

This is FileMaker 9. 

• 1. Re: Change Password
          davidhead

The Change Password script step is only web compatible when performed without the dialog. To see this, select Web Publishing (compatible) script steps in Manage Scripts and place the Change Password step in your script. The default behaviour (Perform with dialog) indicates that it is NOT COMPATIBLE. But it becomes so when you check 'Perform without dialog'.

The reason for this is that dialogs are not web compatible. 

So the answer to your bigger question is - you would need to use a scripted procedure to force (and enable) someone to change their password when accessing via the web. I have not tested this but maybe they could enter their old and new passwords into two global fields and then have the Change Password script step use those field values (without a dialog) to reset their password. See how you go with that. Be careful to trap for possible errors.

• 2. Re: Change Password
            alubiw

Thank you.  I'll try that.

Anna 

• 3. Re: Change Password
              alubiw

When you say that dialogs are not web compatible, how far does that extend?  I understand that I cannot use them in scripts.  On the other hand, the log in dialog appears (otherwise no one could even log in over the web!).  Now if I create an account and set "User must change password on next login" then in the non-web version, the next log in causes the change password dialog to appear, but over the web it just seems to raise the error "password has expired".  So if I create a new account with the intention that it will only be used over the web, then I MUST NOT set User must change password on next login.  Is that correct?

(I will try your original suggestion next, but I was hoping for a way around it that's less work.)

• 4. Re: Change Password
                davidhead

alubiw wrote:

When you say that dialogs are not web compatible, how far does that extend? ... the log in dialog appears (otherwise no one could even log in over the web!).  Now if I create an account and set "User must change password on next login" then in the non-web version, the next log in causes the change password dialog to appear, but over the web it just seems to raise the error "password has expired".  So if I create a new account with the intention that it will only be used over the web, then I MUST NOT set User must change password on next login.  Is that correct?

The web interface does not support dialogs. When someone logs in to IWP, they do so on a screen not in a dialog.
                You can set "User must change password on next login" when you create a Privilege Set, not when you create an Account. So you could create a privilege set expressly used for web access (with the [fmiwp] extended privilege).  This privilege set would not require users to change their password.
                Or you can try the suggestion for scripting the change password process.