1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 14, 2014 11:57 AM by philmodjunk

Change to field name is changing label in layout, how to make it stop?

TimHicks

Title

Change to field name is changing label in layout, how to make it stop?

Hi all,

I am cleaning up years of neglect, and implementing new features in a dozen FileMaker databases.  We are using FileMaker 13.

There are a lot (>20) of fields with numbers and arithmetic symbols in the field names.  I am renaming them, but every time I do, FileMaker is changing the label on the layouts.  As a result, I have to change one field name and then immediately edit every layout where the field appears.  This is making a simple job a lot harder.

How can I keep this from happening?  I only want to changes the field name in the database.  I don't want to change the text labels in the layouts, the users like them as they are and they don't need to change.

- TIm

• 1. Re: Change to field name is changing label in layout, how to make it stop?
          philmodjunk

If anyone knows of a trick to make this less of a problem, please chime in. If you edit a field's label text to differ in some small way from that of the associated field's defined name, it will not change when you rename the field, but this simply has you edit the field labels before you rename the field in this case so this info is only useful as a way to avoid the problem in the future. (I routinely modify field labels when designing layouts so as to break this link for this very reason.)