4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2013 8:00 PM by douglerner_1

Changing a value list value (FM Pro 10 Advanced)

douglerner_1

Title

Changing a value list value (FM Pro 10 Advanced)

Is it possible when changing a custom value in a value list to have the change propagate to all the records which had the previous value selected?

Thanks,

doug

• 1. Re: Changing a value list value (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
          philmodjunk

This would not be very workable for a custom value list, but if you put your values in a table of values for use with your value list, you can put an "edit" button on your layout that performs a script for modifying a record in the table of values that includes the needed script steps to also update your fields in the original table. If the value list is ID number based, you may not even need to modify any data in the original table.

• 2. Re: Changing a value list value (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
            douglerner_1

I will think about that, Phil. I'm not quite at doing scripts in FM yet.

Thanks,

doug

• 3. Re: Changing a value list value (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
              RickWhitelaw

Doug,

I'm going to paraphrase Phil here. Using FM without using scripts is like rowing a boat with one oar out of the water. Once you start scripting you'll find it's not all that difficult. Start out with simple tasks you're certain you need to accomplish and you'll soon become a scripting fan!

RW.

• 4. Re: Changing a value list value (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
                douglerner_1

I'm actually a professional programmer, and have done FM scripts in the past. I'm just real rusty with FM scripting and "gotta get this first set of stuff done" - so I will look at that later on.

Right now I'm in a panic because of new customer acquisitions and I'm trying to get everything all set up for the different customers in my own databases and on QuickBooks so I can do the first invoicing on March 1.

So for right this moment "simple is best" as long is it is correct and looks nice.

I'm sure later on I will get  into scripting things.

I'm pretty sure that for my immediate tasks - a few related tables - and generating .csvs for import into QuickBooks Online and getting information for mail merges that I don't need scripting quite yet. I hope.

Thanks!

doug