4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 11:36 AM by philmodjunk

Changing existing values.

Alasdair

Title

Changing existing values.

Hi

If I change a field in my solution from a manual entry number field to a calculation field, is there a way to stop the new calculation changing my existing records?

Regards

Al

• 1. Re: Changing existing values.
          philmodjunk

Depending on how you need it to evaluate and update, you may be able to keep it as a number field and specify an auto-enter calculation in field options. Adding or changing an auto-enter calculation does not automatically update the value in the field of existing records.

• 2. Re: Changing existing values.
            Alasdair

Thanks will try it.

Regards

Al

• 3. Re: Changing existing values.
              Alasdair

Hi

Tried this, it auto evaluates before I create a record and I have to clear contents and re enter dates very slow and tedious for the user.

I have dateIn and dateOut entered with a drop down calendar

My calculation is  DateOut - DateIn

This result is then used to calculate a price elsewhere....... i.e. a cost for a number of days stayed in our marina

Until now we have manually entered the number of days.

Regards

Al 

• 4. Re: Changing existing values.
                philmodjunk

Did you clear the "do not replace existing value" check box?

then, as long as the fields referenced in the calculation come from the same record as the field with the auto-enter calculation, any change to DAteOut or DateIn will cause the auto-enter calculation to update.