7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2012 12:56 PM by philmodjunk

Changing global variables

pdoak_1

Title

Changing global variables

I have two layouts based upon the same table occurence and in the header section are global fields, one from within the current table and another from another table.  On one layout, I can change the global fields but on the other layout, I can access the drop down menu of the global field but as I do that the field goes blank and I then cannot make a selection from the drop down menu.  Has anyone else come across this problem?

• 1. Re: Changing global variables
          philmodjunk

What do you mean by "the drop down menu of the global field"? What options did you specify for this value list?

• 2. Re: Changing global variables
            pdoak_1

Sorry, I mean the drop down list.  I have specified the following options:

• include arrow to show and hide list; and
            • auto-complete using value list.
            I have another global field in the header which is a date field and as soon as I click on the field, it disappears. If I refresh the window I can then see the field contents again.
            I am using Filemaker pro Advanced 11.0v4 on a mac running 10.7.3
            • 3. Re: Changing global variables
              philmodjunk

When you click on the global date field, the field with this drop down list disappears?

The options I was looking for are not found in the inspector. I was looking for the options specified in Manage | Value lists for the value list selected for your field. Now I doubt that will tell us much if my first sentence accurately describes what you are seeing here.

If you open Manage | Database | Fields, what options are specified for these two fields?

Field 1 is of type date and field 2 (with the disappearing data) is of what type?

Do both show that global storage was selected?

What kind of values are entered from the drop down's value list? Text, Numbers, or ???

• 4. Re: Changing global variables
                pdoak_1

If you open Manage | Database | Fields, what options are specified for these two fields?

- Date and Global, drop down calendar

- Text and Global, Custom value list

• 5. Re: Changing global variables
                  philmodjunk

I'm not sure that I have a clear picture of what is happening, so bear with me....

You select a custom value from the value list (You are selecting a value, not just deploying the list?), you then click on the global date field, the pop up calendear deploys and what do you see in the first field? What do you see if you click back into the field with the custom value list?

• 6. Re: Changing global variables
                    pdoak_1

Let me explain exactly what happens:

When I click on the global field in the header of the layout, the drop down list becomes visible and I can select an item but it them freezes and the list remains but I am not able to change my selection.  If I then click anywhere else in the layout, the drop down disappears and the field is blank.  The item has been selected but it just does not show.  If I change layout and then come back to the layout, I can see the item I selected displayed in the field.

• 7. Re: Changing global variables
                      philmodjunk

Is there any script trigger such as OnObjectModify set up for this field? If so, examine the script performed by the trigger for issues.

If not, this sounds like damaged file or layout. Try creating a brand new layout (don't copy and paste anything from the first layout) with the same fields and features and see if you get the same results. Try using recover to recover the file and see if any problems are found. Even if no problems are found, test the recovered copy to see if you get the same behavior.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. Recover does not detect all problems
                      2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                      3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.