2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 5:58 PM by axelrod

Changing Key Shortcuts

axelrod

Title

Changing Key Shortcuts

I have tried altering a few key bindings in Filemaker Pro Advanced 10 v3 using the Mac 10.5 Keyboard preferences. I cannot get any changes to work in Filemaker.

This was not a problem in FM 8 or later. The Help file and everything I have read on this board indicates that this should be working.

The one I really want to change is "Italic" (under the Format:Style menu hierarchy) to F9, but I have not been able to get anything at all to work.

Any ideas? 

• 1. Re: Changing Key Shortcuts
          TSGal

axelrod:

Thank you for your post.

With Keyboard System Preferences, I am unable to DISPLAY the F9 key in the "Keyboard Shortcut", even after I disable the F9 entry for "All Windows".  Any other non-function keyboard shortcut appears in the "Keyboard Shortcut".  For example, if I add FileMaker Pro 10 "Italic" menu and press Control-Option-Command-A, that key combination is displayed in the "Keyboard Shortcut", and I can save that information.  Then, when I launch FileMaker Pro 10 and open a file, the entry next to Italic displays with the new keyboard shortcut.

Has anybody had any luck trying to match a function key to a menu item?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Changing Key Shortcuts
            axelrod

Hello TSGal and thanks for the response!

Well, after reading your post, I happened to launch Filemaker 10 Advanced on my MacBook (I had always been using my desktop up to this point) and those function key shortcuts were there just fine.

So, I just opened Filemaker's preference plist [~/Library/Preferences/com.filemaker.filemakerpro.plist] in Property List Editor on my desktop machine, after first making a back-up copy of the original prefs file of course, and pasted the specific preference keys right in there (it displays as three values under "NSUserKeyEquivalents"):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Bold</key>     <string></string>     

<key>Italic</key>     <string></string>     

<key>Small Caps</key>     <string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

(Odd that it does not display the character here, and just puts that missing glyph box, but I guess the F9/F8/F6 symbols are some special Unicode value that these Microsoft fonts don't present, but which Lucida Grande does...)

Anyway, I restarted Filemaker Pro and all is well. I still have no idea why the Function key equivalents don't work in the Keyboard System preference pane right now, but it might be an obscure glitch with 10.5.8 - I am sure I entered them in my MacBook several months ago when I installed the software on that computer.

I don't know if this explanation will be helpful to anyone else given the hack-ish nature of the solution, but it did seem to work for me!