2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2012 6:17 PM by JudyAnderson

Changing the "from" Email address when sending messages

JudyAnderson

Title

Changing the "from" Email address when sending messages

I have my personal Gmail account. I am the Membership Chair of a national organization, and need to send Email reminders to members when it's time to renew their membership. I'd like the Emails to come from my organization address (also a Gmail account) rather than my personal address. I don't know how to make this change. I figure I need to send my message from the SMTP server, not my "E-mail client" - but I can't figure out how to make the appropriate changes.

(I successfully found the members who's membership expired 9/1 and had not renewed; and I successfully sent each one an Email message. However, the messages "came from" my personal account, and I'd rather avoid that in the future.)

I am using a MacBook Pro, OS 10.6.8.

Thank you for helping!!

--Judy

• 1. Re: Changing the "from" Email address when sending messages
          davidanders

Filemaker version 12??

You are using Mail as the default email client on your Mac or another (Outlook or Entourage)?
               You have one email account setup - your gmail account?

You can have the organization's Gmail account setup on your computer and disable it until sending.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10330167-263.html
               Changing the "From:" address in a new message in Mail can be a very handy tool for people looking to keep e-mail accounts for separate uses.

http://email.about.com/od/macosxmailtips/qt/et_reply_to.htm
          How to Change the Reply-To Header of an Email in Mac OS X Mail

Have you considered an online email service?  (I use Madmimi, Mailchimp, and iContact)
          http://email-marketing-service-review.toptenreviews.com/

• 2. Re: Changing the "from" Email address when sending messages
            JudyAnderson

Yes - I'm using FileMaker Pro 12; and yes, Mail is the default Email client on my Mac. I have the one (personal) Email account when I check "preferences" in "Mail".

The organization is "International Organization of Lace, Inc.". All board members have "permanent" generic Email (on Gmail) addresses; the name associated with the addresses changes as the board members change. When I want to send out Emails from within FileMaker, the first choice I have is to use the "E-mail client" or "SMTP Server". I tried to use "SMTP Server", but that failed. (I obviously don't know how to manipulate the information.) The "E-mail client" works easily - and that uses my personal address. So. it sounds like I need to set up a second account within "Mail"; and then enable only that address when I'm using Filemaker?

Thanks for the information.