3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 1:05 PM by Steve Wright

Changing the appearance of a field when hovering

carolynhaywood

Title

Changing the appearance of a field when hovering

I have a field that is a button with a script which opens a new window.  Is there a way to change the appearance of the filed (i.e. underline, different color) when the hand hovers it?

Carolyn Haywood

Beginner

FMP 10 Advanced Mac 10.6.2

• 1. Re: Changing the appearance of a field when hovering
          Steve Wright

Not as far as I am aware anyway...

The only way I have found to do such a thing (and it was quite a while since I tried) was more of a hack than anything, it required a script trigger plugin and was not effective enough to use for a deployed solution, but it did kind of work.

What I did was to use the tooltip of an object to trigger a script, passing the object name as a script parameter.

The script would then set a variable and refresh the screen.

The conditional formatting of the object would look at the variable to decide whether to highlite or not.

However... this poses a problem when moving away from that button or field, there is no way to un-highlite it without having the rest of your layout clear the variable using a similar method...

Of course, if somebody does have a technique which works reliably, then Im interested too....

• 2. Re: Changing the appearance of a field when hovering
            RickWhitelaw

FM doesn't support mouse-over events natively. When you think about it that seems strange because when FM displays a tooltip it's in effect performing a mouse-over event. It doesn't seem like a stretch to allow the developer access to the function. I like SWS's work around . . . if only there was an equally graceful way of un-formatting after the hand or cursor leaves the object. As well, tooltips seem to take time to activate . . . at least the first one. Perhaps that's adjustable and I've never noticed.

• 3. Re: Changing the appearance of a field when hovering
              Steve Wright

I know this is kind of 'off topic' here, but I thought I would mention it anyway...

I use a similar approach to activate a portal, when moving the mouse over it...On a layout with multiple portals, it becomes a pain to have to click in each one (and miss a field)  before the mouse wheel works properly.

Using the tooltip & a script trigger plugin, I basically trigger a script to go to the portal object in question, meaning each portal become active just by hovering over it... There is a small delay on the first one (like you say) but overall, its what my users wanted... so its what they got.