3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2015 1:53 PM by philmodjunk

changing the date on an auto populated drop down calendar

birdseyedavis

Title

changing the date on an auto populated drop down calendar

Hello all,

I need to change the date for a record that was auto populated with a drop down calendar. I started the record on one date and came back to it, so I want to use a different date for that field. But, once the drop down calendar is auto populated with what was the current date, I cannot edit that field with a new date. I have looked for a check box on the inspector tab and also by right clicking on the field and such but to no avail.

thanks,

Larry

• 1. Re: changing the date on an auto populated drop down calendar
          philmodjunk

The fact that the field is formatted with a drop down calendar will not keep you from being able to edit the date in the field. Something else is preventing you from editing the date.

Can you get the calendar to drop down for selecting a new date or can you not even get the cursor into the field?

• 2. Re: changing the date on an auto populated drop down calendar
            birdseyedavis

Come to think of it I cant even get the calendar to drop down. It auto populated a date upon creation of the record. Then, if I place my cursor over the field the drop down calendar will not appear.

thanks for the help,

Larry

• 3. Re: changing the date on an auto populated drop down calendar
              philmodjunk

The calendar will not appear until you actually put the focus into the field by clicking it or tabbing (or using return, or enter...) from a field that precedes it in the layout's tab order. Hovering the mouse cursor over the field does not deploy the drop down calendar.

Things that can keep a field from being modifiable:

It might be a calculation field.

Modification might be prohibited in Field options.

The field might be grouped with other objects to be set up as a button

It could be placed on the layout as a <<Merge Field>>

Browse Mode access might be blocked in the Inspector (see the Behavior section on the data tab)

An invisible button might be placed on top of the field and the field might be removed from the layout's tab order.

Privilege Set options in Manage | Security might prohibit editing the record or the entire table

And (not the case here as you can see data), the field can be from a related table and no such related record is linked to the current layout record when "allow creation..." is not enabled in the relationship.

Please note that the exact behavior that you experience if you try to edit the date will not be the same in every case listed. Some will allow you to enter the field and attempt to modify its value only to prevent you and display an error message. Others will act as though an invisible barrier is covering the field and preventing any kind of access to the field.