1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 30, 2011 2:23 PM by philmodjunk

Changing the name of a file within a field/URL change?

CDCASA

Title

Changing the name of a file within a field/URL change?

I have a field that I specified to be a container field and multiple records that each have a file associated with them. I inserted the file for each record into the container field.

Is there any way to change the name of the file that is displayed in that container field without having to change the name of the file itself? We have some documents that have strange names that I would like to be presented on the database in a more informative manner and it is difficult to change the file names at this point because they are necessary to keep the same because of other software that uses them.

Also, I am using IWP for others to access our database and the URL for the web site is associated with the IP address of course but I was hoping there was a way to change the name of the URL to make it easier for clients to remember/access the database. Any options?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Changing the name of a file within a field/URL change?
          philmodjunk

A little slight of hand may work. Hide the container field and use a a text field to represent your document. It can now contain any text you care to enter. You can still use scripts to insert documents and export them even though the container field isn't visible on your current layout. (This may take a second, hidden layout that you use for inserting documents depending on the insert method used.) You can even place a container field with a generic icon just above the text field so it looks like a document and its file name but really isn't.