6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2009 1:16 PM by raybaudi

Changing the table View.

robomaster

Title

Changing the table View.

Hi - I am trying out Filemaker and need to print out Exel spread sheets. I go into Table View and create the spreadsheet. I was dissapointed that it did not save all the text when it was more than 1 line. I changed the custom height which is helpful but I still would like to have the ability to have different size columns. I can not find a way to do this. I am really surprised that all the data is not saved when saving as an Excel spread sheet. Am I missing something. How can I individualize the widths of each column in Table View.

• 1. Re: Changing the table View.
          raybaudi

robomaster wrote:

How can I individualize the widths of each column in Table View.

You can drag each column border to reach the desired size; you can even drag all the column into another position of the table.

• 2. Re: Changing the table View.
            LaRetta_1

"I am really surprised that all the data is not saved when saving as an Excel spread sheet. Am I missing something."

To 'print as Excel spreadsheets' ... try Save/Send Records As [ Excel ] which will create an Excel spreadsheet and ALL data within the table's field will be included.  And Excel will display all the data as well.  The same is true if you export the field data.  Can you explain what you are attempting to do because if you are simply trying to print the table and get an Excel spreadsheet from it, it will not work that way.

• 3. Re: Changing the table View.
              robomaster

This info was very helpful and I was able to move and resize the columns and I did save as Excel as one reply stated. After resizing AND moving the columns I can get the Table to print out pretty nicely as a pdf. As an Excel file I now get some funny characters and the data does not contain itself to the proper field in teh spreadsheet.  See Image below:

http://isgcameras.com/filemaker/filemaker1.jpg

• 4. Re: Changing the table View.
                raybaudi

Do not use repeating fields !

Create a new record, instead.

• 5. Re: Changing the table View.
                  robomaster
                     How do I do this? That is how do I NOT  use repeating fields by creating a new record? I just did a Save Records as Excel of my current database. I also did a Export records as Excel and got the same result. There is many records in teh database, I did a printscreen on the first record only.
                  • 6. Re: Changing the table View.
                    raybaudi

robomaster wrote:

I did a printscreen on the first record only.

Yes, I saw.

But each row of Excel is a FileMaker record ( each cell beeing a "normal" FileMaker field ).

So, to have a 10 row Excel spreadsheet, you'll need to export 10 records, NOT one record with repeating fields.