2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2013 2:04 PM by ChrisFreed

Changing the value displayed in a layout based on value in a table

ChrisFreed

Title

Changing the value displayed in a layout based on value in a table

Hello, I am new to filemaker and either i'm not searching the internet with my question correctly or i'm finding the anser and not implementing correctly. Hopefully someone can help.

Note: All the data I have is read-only imported from DBASE.

I basically have a table that has text fields that show for example; "Y" for "Yes", "N" for "No", "G" for "Gallons",  

How can I make a layout/report show the word "Yes", "No", "Gallons" or any other full word based on an abbreviation in the related field? Is this possible?

Thank You

• 1. Re: Changing the value displayed in a layout based on value in a table
          ninja

How many abbreviations are there?

If it's just a few (like 20 or less) you may simply want to make a calculation field, result is text, defined like:

Case(

Field = "Y" ; "Yes" ;

Field = "N" ; "No" ;

Field = "G" ; "Gallons" ;

Field = "F" ; "False" )

If there are many field occurrences on the layout, or many many abbreviations, you may want to create a translator table with one record for each abbreviation.

Link it to the parent by the abbreviation, but put the translator table's field on your layout.  The abbreviation will link to the correct record on your translator table and pull the correct full work over.

• 2. Re: Changing the value displayed in a layout based on value in a table
            ChrisFreed

I have to be messing up somewhere. Please see attached pics. Am I doing this right? Also the use of a translator table sounds interesting. Could you explain in possible more noobishly how to set that up.