9 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2015 2:59 PM by philmodjunk

Chart formatting

TXNewbie

Title

Chart formatting

Hi Folks,

I want to thank everyone in the forum for being so helpful over the years.  It's really appreciated. 

I have a new challenge: Column Chart formatting.  It's a very simple Jan - Dec (x axis) and sales $ (y axis) chart.  I am using two tables and two layouts. The tables are related and the data populates correctly and completely in the chart. The chart fetches data from table A and populates the chart in table B.  HOWEVER, the Jan - Dec columns and associated data appear jammed to the left margin, and I can't figure out why.  Other charts (pie for example) format as expected.  I've attached a screenshot of the chart and the settings.  Any suggestions/guidance greatly appreciated.  - Mark/Dallas

FMPro_Chart_Screenshot.jpg

• 1. Re: Chart formatting
          philmodjunk

What do you have set up in Data Source?

On which of the two tables have you based your layout?

What is the relationship that links the two?

What type of field is "totalDealValue"?

• 2. Re: Chart formatting
            TXNewbie

What do you have set up in Data Source?

Data Source is 12 records (one for each month) containing an aggregated $ deal amount, aggregated # of deals, name of the month and an engagement ID.

On which of the two tables have you based your layout?

The chart is in the dashboard layout, which is connected to its own table.   

What is the relationship that links the two?

The dashboard table is related to the SalesByMonthTable via the engagement ID.  Each table has an engagement ID.

What type of field is "totalDealValue"?

TotalDealValue is a number (currency), indexed, w/no decimals.  This field is contained in the SalesByMonthTable.

Thanks for the guidance.

• 3. Re: Chart formatting
              philmodjunk

By Data Source, I am asking what settings are specified in the last section of your chart set up dialog.

Data Source is 12 records

Doesn't look like your data source is really 12 records and that's probably why your data is "Jammed" into the first part of the chart. If your data source settings specify "found set"then your data source is not the records in the related table but the found set of your Dashboard table.

• 4. Re: Chart formatting
                TXNewbie

Hi - thanks for your note.  Yes, the data source (SalesbyMonthTable) is only 12 records.  

Attached is a screenshot with both the SalesByMonthTable (only 12 records) and the chart settings now set to related record, pointing to the SalesByMonthTable.  Only Jan (first column) shows up. I must really be missing something obvious here.  Any guidance/advise greatly appreciated. 

• 5. Re: Chart formatting
                  philmodjunk

I think you need to describe your relationship between dashboard and this table in more detail.

The dashboard table is related to the SalesByMonthTable via the engagement ID

If that were the case, I'd expect to see all 12 records with the same value in engagement ID. Perhaps you can show a screen shot of the relevant part of Manage | Database | Relationships?

As a test if you put a portal to SalesByMonthTable on your dashboard, how many records do you see? How does the data in the portal compare to the data shown on the chart?

• 6. Re: Chart formatting
                    TXNewbie

Hi - yes, I took your advice and did the portal test and only Jan showed up.  However, when I reexamined the relationship between the two tables and changed the engagement_ID to NOT equal, then all the records showed up in the portal and in the chart.  So, perhaps that was the cure?  Meanwhile, I'm not sure how to get $ symbol to show up in the chart as I can the layout.  See attached screenshot.  Any thoughts very appreciated. 

• 7. Re: Chart formatting
                      philmodjunk

I don't think that you can get the dollar sign to show up. And you didn't get all the records. Note that January is missing--which is exactly what should happen with the "not equals" operator. You might try using the Cartesian join (X) operator if you want your dashboard record to connect to all records in this related table.

• 8. Re: Chart formatting
                        TXNewbie

Yes, correct. I caught that error after I posted my response.  Thank you for the guidance and advice -- I'll try "X".

No dollar sign.  OK. I have seen it in other FMPro projects, but perhaps that is a plug in? I have never used a plug in for FMPro.  Trying to keep things organic and compatible. Any thoughts on use of plug ins?

Thanks for all the great advice.  Very appreciated!

• 9. Re: Chart formatting
                          philmodjunk

Or there is a way to do it that I don't know. I am under the impression that the data at the top of the bars in a bar chart cannot be formatted but I've been wrong before...