7 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2012 1:21 PM by philmodjunk

Chart Time Start and Stop using Portal informatin

teachmouse

Title

Chart Time Start and Stop using Portal informatin

I have a Project layout that displays all of the tasks assoceated with the project through a portal. Listed ar all of the start and stop dates of the tasks. How can I display all of the time lines of the tasks listed in the portal on a chart?

• 1. Re: Chart Time Start and Stop using Portal informatin
          philmodjunk

How are the start and stop dates recorded? Are start and stop dates entered in the same field of different records or does each portal record record a start and a stop date?

What exactly do you want to see in your chart as your "time line"? (Charts are still rather primitive in FileMaker so it depends on what you want as to whether or not FileMaker can do it.)

• 2. Re: Chart Time Start and Stop using Portal informatin
            teachmouse

Each task is a record, each record has a start and stop date as a seprate field.

What the protal looks like.

Start Date Stop Date
            March 6 2012 May 20 2012

Just want to show the span between the dates. Like a gant chart.

• 3. Re: Chart Time Start and Stop using Portal informatin
              philmodjunk

You can't do an actual gant chart, but you may be able to get close.

Do you want a bar chart with a bar for each record where the length of the bar = the number of days from the beginning of the project (the earliest start date) to the end date in that record?

Do you have FileMaker 11 or 12?

• 4. Re: Chart Time Start and Stop using Portal informatin
                teachmouse

Close is as good as I need for now, thank you! And yes a bar with each bar showing the days between start and end for each record.

I am running FM 12.

• 5. Re: Chart Time Start and Stop using Portal informatin
                  philmodjunk

I'm guessing that you want a horizontal bar chart for this...

What I am about to suggest works in 11 and should also work in 12. I'm still learning the changes in 12 so we may find some differences in where things are located in chart setup and how they are named in version 12...

For the vertical X axis, specify a field that is unique to each record in your related table of portal records. This might be a task name field or some such.

For the horizontal Y axis, specify a calculation as Portal Table::Enddate - Min ( Portal Table::Startdate ) // use your table ocurrence and field names.

Then select "related records" in the "Use Data from" drop down.

In Filemaker 12, there's a way to chart 2 values on the same bar. That gives you the option to use

Min ( Portal Table::Startdate ) - Portal table::StartDate

as the first value and Portal table::endDate - PortalTable::StartDate as the second value.

I haven't set up such a chart yet myself, but it might serve as an even closer approximation of your gant chart here.

PS. you may need to specify a sort order in the relationship to the portal's table if you don't have all your records correctly entered in the order you want for your chart.

• 6. Re: Chart Time Start and Stop using Portal informatin
                    teachmouse

In 12 you can have lots of what they call series for the X horizontal in a horizontal chart. Is this what you are talking about for the second. And I dont understand why you did a Min(Startdate)-Startdate. This gives you a 0 right? I understand the EndDate - StartDate giving you the # of days between start and finish. Is the Min suposed to bring the bar off of the 0 line?
                    Thank you for your help. So far I have the chart getting the information from the related table, and it gives me the number of days that each project will take. Can I make it so that it will show off of the bar a number of days from curent date to start date and a bar showing the number of days in the project?

• 7. Re: Chart Time Start and Stop using Portal informatin
                      philmodjunk

I dont understand why you did a Min(Startdate)-Startdate. This gives you a 0 right?

I didin't use Min(Startdate)-Startdate, I used Startdate - Min(PortalTable::Startdate) (but I accidentally got the terms reversed). Min(PortalTable::Startdate) returns the earliest start date of all the related records in your portal. that will only be zero for the first related record. startdate - Min(PortalTable::Startdate) should represent the elapsed time from the beginning of your project to the start date of each related record.

In 12, the barchart option I'm thinking of is called "stacked bar". And yes, you would define two X-series.