1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 19, 2014 7:05 AM by philmodjunk

Charting by Counting Fields of Value List

q8khajah

Title

Charting by Counting Fields of Value List

Good Day everyone,

I am trying to create a chart where the counts of Text values of a value list is plotted.

For example, I have employees from different departments ,, lets say FIELD: DEPARTMENT can be either "Group A" , "Group B", or "Group C" for each record.

I would like to be able to plot a chart counting employees of each department.

I know it sounds simple, and the way I was going around it is by using calculations with an IF function that aggregates other fields counting up. 

I simply would like to know if there is a better way on going about that please?

Plus, when it comes to charting, I am abit lost on how to use custom fields rather than use summary fields for plotting in the chart wizard.

Would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Charting by Counting Fields of Value List
          philmodjunk

No need for calculation fields. A single summary field will do the trick, if you sort your records correctly and select the correct charting options.

Define a summary field to "count" this field and select it for the "Y-Series". Select your value list formatted field for the "X-Series". Then in the data source section you need to be sure that the "summarized data" and "Found set" options are selected.

Final requirement is to get all records that you want for your chart in the found set and sort them by this value list formatted field so that the values are grouped by the value in that field.