3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 4:21 PM by philmodjunk

Charting Occurences in Dropdown List

neilgalang

Title

Charting Occurences in Dropdown List

Hello!

I need help in charting and summarizing the occurences of certain items located in separate dropdown lists.

Background: Basically I am running a database of several patient records. Each record has 10 separate dropdown lists of each possible treatment per session (ie Assessment, Heat, Cold, Range of Motion etc) for 10 sessions. Each session has a dropdown selection for the differenet treatments.

THe Problem: My boss is asking me to summarize and chart the number of each treatment occurence-- such as the number of patients who underwent Heat Therapy for a certain time period. In the summary options I am only able to sort using the ten treatments, the choices in the dropdown aren't included in the summary options. Is there a way to work around this please?

your help will be much apprecieated.

Neil

help.jpg

• 1. Re: Charting Occurences in Dropdown List
          philmodjunk

Are the sections of this screen shot that are numbered 1, 2, 3... different records or different fields that are part of the same record? They should be separate records and if so, a summary report with sub summary parts can be used to produce the report you want.

• 2. Re: Charting Occurences in Dropdown List
            neilgalang

Thank You @PhilModJunk, to answer you question, the fileds nu,bered 1, 2 ,3  (up to 10) are different fields that are part of the same record. How do I put them in separate records? can they still belong on one page even if they are? How do you do this...Thanks!

• 3. Re: Charting Occurences in Dropdown List
              philmodjunk

yes, they should be separate records from a related table.

The simplest way to do that is to use a portal. While portals default to a simple table like format, you can resize and reposition things to produce a look very similar to what you have here.

Another option is to base the layout on a list view layout based on this new related table and put the fields and other layout objects above the first entry into the header or a leading grand summary part. This takes more set up--including some scripts and auto-enter settings to get everything working smoothly, but the end result will be a very close match to what you have already designed.

Using a table of related records allows you to perform a find for all such records (or records in a given date range) and then sort them by type of treatment in order to chart the number in each such group.

It also allows you to have more than 10 such entries for a given patient as you can just keep adding new related records as needed.