4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2014 8:52 AM by BenjaminAndersen

Charts with two data sets but one common value

BenjaminAndersen

Title

Charts with two data sets but one common value

Hi,

I have the following table:

Start_Work_Date, Start_Work_Person, End_Work_Date, End_Work_Person

I want to to a chart that shows the number of records started today and number of records ended today, and having the persons on the x-axis.

Is that possible in the same chart or at least on the same layout? 

Benjamin

• 1. Re: Charts with two data sets but one common value
          philmodjunk

Could the same record show both a Start_Work_Date and an End_Work_Date with today's date?

• 2. Re: Charts with two data sets but one common value
            BenjaminAndersen

Yes both start and end date can be the same and can be todays date.

The start and end person can also be the same but also different but within same range of persons.

• 3. Re: Charts with two data sets but one common value
              philmodjunk

How do you record that?

If you start work on 7/8/2014 and end work on 7/8/2014, do you use one record or two?

If it is started by John Smith but ended by Fred Jones, is that recorded in one record or two?

I'm concerned that the design of this table may make it impossible to produce the chart that you want due to needing to count the same record in more than one place in your chart.

If you always create one record to record when the work was started and a second record to record when work was ended--even when this takes place all in the same day, then we have data that can be charted here.

What form do you want that chart to take?

• 4. Re: Charts with two data sets but one common value
                BenjaminAndersen

You might be right that the design could be better but the table also contains a lot more data so it seems like the best solution to use one field for start date and another for end date but on the same record. So yes I only use one record.

I have previously in PHP created a bar chart for this. All persons that has either started work or ended work will be on x axis and each person will have two bars indicating how many they started and how many the have ended.

The goal is to present an overview as simple as possible on how much work has been performed.

Any workaround could be helpfull? Thanks.