1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2009 5:07 AM by limore_1

Check Box Field Help!

scotty2009

Title

Check Box Field Help!

hi all, new to the forums - quick question...

i have created a checkbox field, with quite a bit of info contained.

1 - can you insert a scroll feature into a checkbox field?  if so how?

and

2 - the check boxes wont appear in this field, the X's do when you select one of the options, but the boxes themselves wont show up.  i have 3 other fields with checkboxes and they are fine.  i have tried to redo the field, copy from others, not sure what is going on.

any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Scotty

• 1. Re: Check Box Field Help!
          philmodjunk

1 - can you insert a scroll feature into a checkbox field?  if so how?

Not with just a built in filemaker field. You can simulate this effect with a portal and a portal can have a scroll bar. (This takes some scripting to make it work.)

2 - the check boxes wont appear in this field, the X's do when you select one of the options, but the boxes themselves wont show up.  i have 3 other fields with checkboxes and they are fine.  i have tried to redo the field, copy from others, not sure what is going on.

Check the line weight and color settings for the field. It may be that the line color is transparent or matches the color of the background. Click the the field while in layout mode and check what's selected by checking the line color/pattern drop downs in the upper right corner of your layout.

• 2. Re: Check Box Field Help!
            scotty2009

thank you Phil, the line weight it was!

On to the portal and scripting - im lost here.  create this on another page with a scroll bar and then portal it to transfer to the main page in checkbox form??

• 3. Re: Check Box Field Help!
              philmodjunk

It's not a simple technique to implement and there is more than one way to implement it, so I don't recommend it unless you've got a good grasp of how to set up relationships, calculations and scripts.

Here's a general outline:

You create a separate table where one record = one value in your list.

You display these values in a portal with a single value check box field to the left of the value. This check box field might be a text field or it might be a calculation field that returns text.

You display the check box and value fields in a scrolling portal and use scripts and/or calculations to manage what happens when the user clicks one of these check boxes (or the entire portal row.)

• 4. Re: Check Box Field Help!
                scotty2009

WOW...nevermind 

haha thank you though for your help. i will have to figure out another way...

• 5. Re: Check Box Field Help!
                  comment_1
                     Here's a demo of a rather simple "scrolling checkbox" implementation.
                  • 6. Re: Check Box Field Help!
                    philmodjunk

Comment,

that's a truly elegant implementation of the technique. It's been years since I implemented this concept and it's nice to see how the newer features/functions that have been added make this work a bit nicer.

However, I think your definition of "rather simple" is a bit different than most :smileywink:

• 7. Re: Check Box Field Help!
                      LaRetta_1

While the ability to come up with such a concept is more advanced, implementation of it is certainly not ... just duplicate the table occurrences, single script and value list.  With the file from which to work, anyone can achieve it.

I would rate implementation as high beginner-to-low intermediate only.

• 8. Re: Check Box Field Help!
                        philmodjunk

Well, you also have to use the right font and conditional formatting for it to work as well.

Since there's no information with the downloaded file telling you about those details, it might not be quite that simple to implement. :smileywink:

• 9. Re: Check Box Field Help!
                          LaRetta_1
                             All someone has to do is click the object and see what is attached.  Just because YOU might have trouble doesn't mean most others would.  I was implementing these types of things after using FM for two weeks - if I had a wonderful file to duplicate! And the font is just eye candy anyway ... but again, just look and quick poo-pooing something just because it might be difficult for you.
                          • 10. Re: Check Box Field Help!
                            scotty2009

ty comment, this helps!

i will mess around with it and see what happens!  much appreciated!!!

Scott

• 11. Re: Check Box Field Help!
                              Pstone
                                 That's a pretty cool trick. Unfortunately it makes searching sort of hard to do. You have to have that whole attribute list up which in the end, defeats the purpose of saving space by having a scrollable checkbox list in the first place?
                              • 12. Re: Check Box Field Help!
                                comment_1

I am afraid I didn't understand either one of your remarks. Searching is practically the same as it would be with just a checkbox. Do you have a specific issue in mind?

As for saving space - if you meant the AttributeIDs field, it's there for demo purposes only. There's no need to have it on the layout in real implementation.

• 13. Re: Check Box Field Help!
                                  Pstone
                                     I just noticed that when you do a Find, the attributes list vanishes.
                                  • 14. Re: Check Box Field Help!
                                    comment_1
                                       Well of course it does - it's a portal showing data. If you want to use this device for searching, youll have to do it in Browse mode, setting a global field to the selected values. Then have a script construct the find requests from that.
                                    1 2 Previous Next