7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2013 9:06 PM by philmodjunk

Check Box Fields not working

FrankMitch

Title

Check Box Fields not working

In a new database, file converted from Filemaker Pro 10 to version 12, some text box fields are not working. Clicking on the text box number a count is not entered. There are about 15 text box fields on a page associated with records. Most of theme advance the count number by 1, but a few of them do not respond.

I am not certain that these worked OK in version 10 also. It is a fairly new data base.

Thanks for suggestions.

• 1. Re: Check Box Fields not working
          philmodjunk

text box or check box?

These are two different things.

How is the field formatted? If with checkboxes, what value list options are specified for the field's value list?

If this is a check box field, enter layout mode, make a copy of the field and reset this copy's format back to "edit box" in the inspector. Then return to browse mode and use th edit box to examine the actual data stored in this field. You may need to click into the edit box copy of the field in order to see all the data that is present in it.

• 2. Re: Check Box Fields not working
            FrankMitch

I meant check box fields as said in the title. 

Not sure what to do with the data???
                   Here is what I found in the Inspector columm on the right. The same for check boxes working and not working.
                 DATA:
            FIELD:
                 - Count Sesssion 5  (for one  of the non-working fields)
                 - Control Style - Edit Box
                 - Show Repititions: 1 to 1 (1 defined)

BEHAVIOR:
                 - Go to reset object using: tab
                 - Set Input method: Automatic

DATA FORMATTING:
                 -  Format: Decimal
                 -  Fixed number of decimals: 0
                 -  Notation: None
                 -  Negative:  (12324)    Red Color
                 -  Numerical Type:  Half Width

• 3. Re: Check Box Fields not working
              philmodjunk

FIELD:
                   - Count Sesssion 5  (for one  of the non-working fields)
                   - Control Style - Edit Box

This is not a check box field. If it were, the control style would read "check boxes".

• 4. Re: Check Box Fields not working
                FrankMitch

Sorry, I am new at this.  My faulty conclusion re it being check boxes.
                When I go to Manage my Database, I see that these fields are shown as Summary Fields.
                     Does that fit in with Edit Box for Control Style?

Anything else for me to try?

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: Check Box Fields not working
                  philmodjunk

Summary fields compute aggregate values based on the current found set or a related set of records depending on how the field is referenced on layouts or in calculations. If you double click this field definition in Manage | Database, you can find out more details as to what kind of summary field it is. Summary fields can also be looked up in FileMaker help if you want to learn more about them.

It is not a field that can be edited, but "edit box" is the correct field format for this field.

• 6. Re: Check Box Fields not working
                    FrankMitch

So I have 15 Summary Fields with the field format of edit box."
                         All appear to be set up the same.
                         Why are 6 of them not working?
                         How about deleting them out of the layout and set them up again?

I have read a little about such Fields in the book: "FileMaker Pro 12" the Missing Manual.

• 7. Re: Check Box Fields not working
                      philmodjunk

The layout format options are not the issue.

They may be working perfectly--just not as you expect them to.

How a summary field calculates values depends on how it is set up in Manage | Database | fields and the context in which it is referenced on the layout. Did you look up summary fields in FileMaker help?

If the layout refers to the same table as that of the summary field when you check layout setup | Show Records From, it will compute an aggregate value based on the current found set of records. This aggregate value could be a total, an average a count, a standard deviation... the options depend on what was selected for the summary field in Manage | Database.

If this is a field that you want to be able to enter data in, it should not be a summary field.