2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2012 3:17 PM by tracylynn1212

Check Box that duplicates data from one field to another field when checked

tracylynn1212

Title

Check Box that duplicates data from one field to another field when checked

Hello

I have 2 sections on my layout containg several fields each:  Legal Name, address, city, zip, etc and the other section is DBA Name, address, city, zip, etc.  Often times the Legal name and address info would be the same as the DBA, but users don't like having to repeatedly type the same information on the layout.  I'm looking to see if there is a way to create a button/checkbox above the DBA section that says something like "same as Legal info" that once it's checked, all the data previously typed in the Legal Name, address, city, zip, etc fields is copied into the DBA section fields.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

(I use File Maker Pro 11)

• 1. Re: Check Box that duplicates data from one field to another field when checked
          philmodjunk

Define this auto-enter calculation on each of your DBA fields:

If ( IsEmpty ( CheckBoxField ) ; self ; PutNameOfMatchingAddressFieldHere )

For least confusion, you'll probably want to clear the "do not replace existing value" check box.

• 2. Re: Check Box that duplicates data from one field to another field when checked
            tracylynn1212

Thank you Phil, that worked! I used a check box with Yes and No values for my "Same as Legal" field, but hid the No part of the field so it will only allow user to check Yes. As long as the YES is checked, it will populate the Legal data onto the DBA fields. If I were to edit the DBA fields later on (let's say they change their DBA address down the road) then it will let me edit it, but reverts back to the Legal info again once I leave the field. This I notice happening only if the Yes button is still checked. If I uncheck Yes, then edit the DBA fields, it will save whatever new data changes I put in the DBA fields.

Unless you can think of a simpler solution, I think this will work fine. We would just have to be sure to uncheck the Yes box right after the data populates so that editing of the field's data can be done in the future if need be.