8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2010 1:01 AM by Molly

Check Boxes

Molly

Title

Check Boxes

This will sounds like a pathetic question, and I apologise. I want to use Filemaker to help me manage a dataset - to retrive some market information (the point being I'm not a database designer - I just know it has to be beter than using Excel for this)

So - I have imported my excel data, and I have set fields for the customer number, name, DOB, postcode etc - but I need each record to have one or more purchases recorded. They are theatre ticket buyers, so one customer may have bought a ticket for 8 different performances over a year, and I'd like each performance named - and then a check box (I assume), so that of the set of 15 titles I can "check" as many as they have attended.

I have got as far as creating a checkbox, but have no idea what "value" it requires  - basically, I don't understand and reading instructions is not helping me!

At present the data gives me multiple lines on a spread sheet when one customer has made several purchases - each customer has a number, and then a line for each show they have seen - so when they are imported they come over as duplicates - so I was assuming I would have to clear the dups somehow, then manually check the boxes working from the excel sheets. Its under 1,000 at the moment

Make sense to anyone - sorry...

• 1. Re: Check Boxes
          comment_1
             You left out the most important thing: what purpose does your solution intend to achieve? That ultimately dictates everything else.

I suggest you look at a similar issue here:
          http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&message.id=35582#M35582
          • 2. Re: Check Boxes
            Molly
               The ultimate use is that I want to be able to find how many / who has attended x y or z performance - I assume by searching on each check box - or if I spend hours on this subject, writing a report that tells me
            • 3. Re: Check Boxes
              bcooney

The link comment provided introduces you to the construct of a join table. You have a many-to-many relationship between customers and shows. That is one customer can see many shows, and each show has many customers. To capture the intersection of a customer and show, you need a third table. This table is referred to as a join table.

So, forget about checkboxes, and read comment's thread, as it provides a complete example of a join table. Your report will be created from the data in the join table. 

• 4. Re: Check Boxes
                Molly
                   thank you - I will read and try to follow:smileyhappy:
                • 5. Re: Check Boxes
                  HugoLidia
                     Just to complicate the issue, one person could see the same show multiple times, no?
                  • 6. Re: Check Boxes
                    bcooney
                       They could see the same show, but not the same performance (date, time). So a show has performances (this is the join) to clients.
                    • 7. Re: Check Boxes
                      comment_1

I don't think that fits the original description:

Molly wrote:
                      one customer may have bought a ticket for 8 different performances over a year

Anyway, I don't see why a customer couldn't buy more than one ticket to the same performance and "see it multiple times" - provided they brought extra pairs of eyes…

• 8. Re: Check Boxes
                        Molly
                           Thanks for all your thoughts, I've come to the conclusion that I need to pay someone to look at the data and set something up for me, and show me the basics -I don't have time to sort this now - I'll look for a Filemaker developer locally I think - unless that is an online service that someone offers - thanks again, and you are right, the permutations of the data could be endless, but I have a specific set of finds I need to do... and now I need to get on with some work!