6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2009 10:33 AM by TSGal

Check boxes and IWP

Musashi

Title

Check boxes and IWP

Does anyone know why checked and radio fields in IWP do not evaluate in calculations, but drop down boxes do?

Thanks

Musashi

• 1. Re: Check boxes and IWP
          Musashi

Further to the above post, I also encounter some problems with data fields that are identical to the one next to it, but can not be edited in IWP pages. Some data fields are okay and others are not.

I have tried duplicating the fields that work and renaming them, but still they can not be edited in IWP.

anyone else had problems like this?

Musashi

• 2. Re: Check boxes and IWP
            TSGal

Musahi:

Thank you for your posts.

Checkbox fields act differently in Instant Web Publishing than they do in FileMaker Pro.  Each checkbox entry is separated by a carriage return.  In FileMaker Pro, for one entry, there is no carriage return at the end.  With Instant Web Publishing, there is a trailing carriage return.

If your calculation field is evaluating for a single entry, then it will return false.  Instead, you should modify your calculation to use PatternCount, Filter, or other functions to retrieve the value.  For example, if you had a value list consisting of "Yes" and "No", the calculation would be:

If ( PatternCount ( <checkbox field> ; "Yes" ) > 0 ; "Yes" ; "Not Yes" )

In your second post, the fields that cannot be edited in Instant Web Publishing, can the fields be edited in FileMaker Pro?  If not, then perhaps the fields are calculation fields or container fields, or the field behavior is set to not be enterable in Browse mode.  Any additional information about these fields may be helpful in determining the cause.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Check boxes and IWP
              Musashi

Thank you for this information, it corrected the problem

As for the data entry field, it can be edited in Filemaker, but not in IWP. The layout is designed for the person to enter the data, save it, then move to the next record. All fields are working except for the one.

Also a new problem that came up today; The layout has a value added list and looks up customers in the customer table. Everything works okay for a  new record, but if they made a mistake and go back to change the customer name using the value added list, the record will not update.

• 4. Re: Check boxes and IWP
                TSGal

Musashi:

Thanks for the additional information.

For testing purposes, try moving the data entry field to another place on the layout.  Are you still unable to enter data?  If not, remove the field from the layout, and use the Field tool to drag in the same field again.  Does that work?

Regarding the new problem...  Are the fields on the layout set to "Looked-up value" in Field options?  Or, is the information from the customer table being displayed in a portal?  What is the key field that triggers the lookup?  Is this the field you are changing?  If the field value does not exist in the customer table, then depending on your lookup options, it may not copy any information, so it looks like it is unchanged.  I'll need additional information to help narrow down the possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Check boxes and IWP
                  Musashi

I found the problem with the data entry field; it does not work with explorer v 6. But will work with V. 8 and firefox.

The order sheet is linked to the customer table via serial no., customer name and city. Only customers in the customer table will appear in the value added list. Other fields will then lookup the city code, group code, billing code, and payment terms once the customer has been chosen. The user can also click on a button and the payment history or the order history will appear.

All is working fine when a new record is created. If they accidentally choose the wrong customer, and try to make the correction the data will not refresh in IWP. Everything is fine in Filemaker and works as it should.

I am not using a portal, this is an order sheet layout.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Check boxes and IWP
                    TSGal

Musashi:

I'm glad you found the cause of the entry field.

Regarding the lookup not working in Instant Web Publishing...  Do you have a sample file I can test?  If you want to send a clone (no records), that is fine.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.