2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2010 10:34 AM by fluffyone

Check boxes with lots of options.

fluffyone

Title

Check boxes with lots of options.

Hi Group

I am using a checkbox on a layout and I have it display a list of options based on records created in another table and I select whichever ones I want connected with the record which also gives me a historical view of what has been checked of / used. This all works well but thinking long term this list is going to keep getting bigger and I can't see the use of a slider on the check box to reveal checkboxes out of site.

I realize that I could probably do this through a portal with some changes to the table, but what I like about the checkbox method is that I can do a find for all the records I want to use the check box on, I then go into the table view and wiz down the list clicking all the check boxes required, which can be quite fast.

Is there a better way to do this?

Regards

Fluffy

• 1. Re: Check boxes with lots of options.
          philmodjunk

There are ways to use a portal to display a scrolling list of check box values. It takes a bit of programming to implement, but sounds like the best option here. Comment had a very nice demo file for this. If you search the forum for "Scrolling Checkbox" you might be able to find a thread where he posted a link to this file.

One caution on your current design: If you remove a value from your table that serves as the source of values for your checkboxes, that value remains in your checkbox fields, but the format will hide the fact that this value is still in the field unless you examine an unformatted field for the value. This hiddent value can affect which records are found when you perform finds as filemaker may "find" the hidden text, but the checkbox formatting hides the text from view.

• 2. Re: Check boxes with lots of options.
            fluffyone

Hi Phil

Thanks for your reply, I decided to re-plan my method as I could see a few issues with this method.  I have now got it working well using a portal with Get related records (Mr Vodka pointed me in the right direction), it took me a while to figure it out and I nearly threw my pc in the bin a few times, but it was worth the effort as I learnt so much!

Regards

Fluffy