4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 3:51 PM by Gilo

Check Data

Gilo

Title

Check Data

Hi

I have a client_ID which has to have a unique value. But if i enter the data and go to the next field with TAB, FM does check if the value is unique. I have to click somewhere else on the layout until i get the message that the data in not unique. 

I even tried a script-trigger, where on exit field it should write the data (I thing in english is omit?) does not help

What can i do?

• 1. Re: Check Data
          raybaudi

If the ID is automatically generated by FileMaker by auto entering a serial value ( which is the normal procedure ), than you do not have any reason to worry.

• 2. Re: Check Data
            Gilo

Hi thank you for your reply

Unfortunately, the ID is entered manually

• 3. Re: Check Data
              philmodjunk

Why is the ID entered manually? The unique values check cannot be done until the record is committed--which is what happens when you click outside the field. An OnObjectExit trigger can perform a script that commits the record.

And from a database design point of view, the Client_ID really should be either an auto-entered serial number or Get ( UUID ) text string.

• 4. Re: Check Data
                Gilo

Hey

The company has a DB, where we only have restricted access, so we're building our own DB, as a kind of archive. So we get the Client_ID from the company... 

I've tried committed when leaving client_ID, or entering another field... but no success.... don't get it why