2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2012 4:37 PM by DavidLoveridge

Check for Duplication over two fields

DavidLoveridge

Title

Check for Duplication over two fields

Hi,

I am new to filemaker and having a good time working my way through some interesting challenges. The problem I can't get past at the moment is I am in a table and I am trying to stop duplicate entries being created in a table, but only if its a duplication of two fields.

In the table there is a name and a year field. The name comes from a field in another table, the year is a restricted field that only allows 4 digit numeric number. I want to be able to create an entry for a person in a particular year, but only one entry per year. For example.

You can create a record for 'Bob' in '2012', then a record for 'Bob' in '2013', 'Bob' in '2014' etc etc.

But if there is already a 'Bob' in '2015' I want it to throw up an error and not create the entry. Then tell the person an entry for this person already exists for this year.

How can I do this check over two fields?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

• 1. Re: Check for Duplication over two fields
          raybaudi

Create a new text field with:

1 ) option to auto-enter the combination of those two fields, something like: name & year
               2 ) validation as unique with optional custom dialog.

• 2. Re: Check for Duplication over two fields
            DavidLoveridge

RayBaudi

Thanks for your post "

posted 12:36 AM PST by raybaudi

Comment:    
                 Create a new text field with:

1 ) option to auto-enter the combination of those two fields, something like: name & year
                 2 ) validation as unique with optional custom dialog.

-----

This has fixed my problem, with the above information. I selected the wrong post as the post that solved the issue. The I tried to delete my post to I could select yours but it deleted yours. Thanks very much for your help.