3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2011 9:26 AM by philmodjunk

Checkbook Register

beacon10

Title

Checkbook Register

Great! Answer to previous post worked well. Now, How do I enter a starting value without entering it into the deposit or withdrawl fields? I know how to get a summary of all deposits and withdrawls but without reflecting the starting value.

Previous Post: Does anyone have a sample of a simple checkbook register for a FMP beginner? If not a sample, a little help getting started. 

• 1. Re: Checkbook Register
          philmodjunk

A simple check book register starts with the following fields:

TransDate; Desc; Deposit; Withdrawal; cBal; sBalance

Transdate is a date field. Description is text. Deposit and Withdrawal are number field.

cBal is a calculation field you do not actually place on your layout, but it's used behind the scenes to pull together deposit and withdrawal values into one field with different signs so that sBalance can compute the needed running total. Use this expression for it:

Deposit - Withdrawal.

Then set up sBalance as a summary field that computes the total of cBal and specify that it compute a running total.

Now you can set up a list or table view layout with all these fields but cBal on it and you'll get what looks like the traditional check register, but one that does the math for you.

• 2. Re: Checkbook Register
            beacon10

Great! That works well but here is the next part. How do I enter a starting value without entering into the deposit or withdrawl fields? I know how to get a summary of all deposits and withdrawls but without reflecting the starting value.

• 3. Re: Checkbook Register
              philmodjunk

Why wouldn't your starting value be entered as a deposit with "starting balance" or some such text be entered in the Desc field? That's how I usually set this up and also is how I've seen most bookkeepers start a new ledger...

You can add a third field for starting bala nce an incorporate it into cBal to produce:

StartingBalance + Deposit - Withdrawal