6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2014 3:05 AM by AA

Checkbox

AA

Title

Checkbox

Hello,

This is my first post in FM Forum and just started using Filemaker days ago.

I would like to register some selected products from the market to recommend that for clients. This way I created 2 (3) tables, 

Table 1 - Register Manufacturers

Table 2 - Register Products

Table 3 - Help table for categories according to the tutorial http://help.filemake...nal-value-lists

In table 1 I would like to register product as attached drawing shows, I woud like to achive with some checkbox all together. (This will be about 50 checkboxes)

In table 2 I want to register the products via sub categories - kind of filtering (tutorial). I use pop-up menus for this. Finally when I select the manufacturer from pop-up menu I could select the Manufacturers that produce Computer parts only.

The problem is:

Table 1 uses checkbox and each checkbox means one Field with the record of Yes/No

Table 2 uses pop-up menus, and selects Records

The question is how to connect Field (yes/no) with Records when I register a product and proper manufacturer for that.

Currently I use Lynda for learning I would be appreciated if someone could suggest some "tags" to accomplish.

table_1.jpg

• 1. Re: Checkbox
          AA
          /files/438dead9ff/table_2.jpg 978x425
          • 2. Re: Checkbox
            philmodjunk

This doesn't look like a practical way to set this up. "over 50 check boxes" does not seem easy to set up nor flexible when it comes time to add/remove items from that group of check boxes.

I recommend 3 tables implementing a many to many relationship where you currently have two tables.

Manufacturers. One record for each manufacturer with __pkMfdID as an auto-entered serial number to identify each company
                 Products. One record for each product with a manufacturer with __pkProductID to identify each product

Manufacturers----<Manufacturer_Product>-------Products

Manufacturers::__pkMfdID = Manufacturer_Product::_fkMfdID
                 Products::__pkProductID = Manufacturer_Product::_fkMfdID

To link a given product to a given manufacturer, you create a record in Manufacturer_Product with _fk fields set to link it the correct Manufacturer and Product records.

Note: This assumes that one product needs to be linked to many manufacturers. If this is not the case, no 3rd (Join) table is needed in order to link a product to its manufacturer.

• 3. Re: Checkbox
              AA

Hi , thanks for the answer, however I am looking for something different but obviously was useful.

I would like to select  the 2nd category (RED frame) and in the Manufacturer pop-up menu only those titles/items should be appeared than under the title of the 2nd category. So in this case I selected the Computer category and I want to see only those companies that already checked under the Computer field (Manufacture 1, Manufacture 3). But, If the selected category is not Computer but TV everything would be changed dynamically and get only titles that is under TV field (Manufacture 3 only) (upper drawing).  

• 4. Re: Checkbox
                philmodjunk

Then you are describing a conditional value list where the selected categories filter the list of manufacturers.

Here are some links on the subject:

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12 or later, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in your version of FileMaker.

The next to last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list and the very last link is a fairly new addition that describes how to use ExecuteSQL to produce conditional value lists that aren't easily possible with the other methods described here.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Using ExecuteSQL to produce a conditional value list: Using ExecuteSQL to Produce a Conditional Value List

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.

• 5. Re: Checkbox
                  AA

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply. Well this way I got a huge topic it seems so I need some days to study and digest. There are many related conceptions that need to be clear to understand. I will be come back for sure. Also I downloaded the files and there are many new great things there!

• 6. Re: Checkbox
                    AA

Hi Phil,

I am just thinking there could be many way to get same result. Let's start on one.

In my example using conditional value via simple method of  FM tutorial "Value and Data table using Type connection" is clear. However this situation is a little bit different.

When I want to select Manufacturers from the pop-up menu actually I do not want to use the same method as in FM "conditional values" tutorial. I think I am looking for something IF logical operation. IF I select specific record from category list, please provide me the right Manufacturers from XY field from TableZ. This is kind of a dynamic navigation.

If I follow the tutorial I need to create a lot of Manufacturer records because one Company produces more category of products, so this would be a lot of work. So that would be easier to use some checkboxes for each Manufacturer and I fill the right boxes relating to the Manufacturer profile. After somehow this would be filtered by the pop-up menu. And filter would be set by a category record eg. Computer or TV. ...no idea. 

...I am on youtube at the moment :) with guy stevens' related tables with conditional values.