2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2012 9:51 AM by adelemarshallreynolds

Checkbox Data and incorporating monetary values

adelemarshallreynolds

Title

Checkbox Data and incorporating monetary values

Hi. I'm a newbie; have looked through previous posts and couldn't find anything to help - hopefully someone will be able to advise.

So I have a number of checkbox items:

• Soup
      • Cheese
      • Chicken
      • Pasta

I want the item to link to a corresponding price

• Soup - £0.50
      • Cheese - £1.30
      • Chicken - £5.20
      • Pasta - £1.10

One or more items may be selected - depending on the customer

The prices above are example net prices (which I would like to automatically corrolate the net price on selection.

ie: select Cheese, select Chicken : price = £6.50

I then want to be able to cauculate seperately the gross price after adding 15%

Hope someone can help me with a simple explanation :o)

• 1. Re: Checkbox Data and incorporating monetary values
          philmodjunk

And where would you enter the dollar amounts for each selected value? You could define 4 separate number fields for the 4 check box values shown and use a script to look up and enter the dollar amounts from a price list table, but that approach does not work very well as it will result in problems and complications as you add other features and/or make changes to your design in the future.

Use a portal of releated records instead of a single field. Select a menu item from a pop up menu or drop down list instead of clicking a check box and a looked up value setting can look up the price from a table of prices and settings.

This then becomes the typical invoicing system you'd use in FileMaker and also in other relational database systems.

Typically you use at least 3 tables for this:

Invoices----<LineItems>-----Products

Your layout refers to invoices and a portal to lineItems is where you'd select the items. Products is where you'd record the current price for each item.

Here's a demo file that uses this approach that you can take a look at: http://fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/309136/

As far as I know, this is still a Filemaker 11 and older file. If  you are using FileMaker 12, launch FileMaker and use Open from the file menu to open this file to get a copy that is converted to the .fmp12 file format.

Please note that it IS possible to use the structure I am recommending here and have a working checkbox group where clicking an item selects it, creates a record in LineItems--with the appropriate price looked up, but this takes some more design work--including writing a script.

• 2. Re: Checkbox Data and incorporating monetary values
            adelemarshallreynolds

Thank you for this answer. I'll have a play around with it and see if I can get it to work.

Using FM12pro