1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 29, 2009 10:11 AM by philmodjunk

Checkbox reports- How do I get the find function to insert what is checked off

JRemsen

Title

Checkbox reports- How do I get the find function to insert what is checked off

HI Guys need a little help here,

Version : Filemaker 10 Pro

Exp: Relatively new to Filemaker scripting but not to programming. 

So I guess what I am trying to do is use a valuelist in checkbox form to choose what will be on a report.

I looked all over the place on the internet and in the books but I am not really getting what I am looking for, or at least not that I can understand so I hope you guys can help.

I have a layout that is called "All reports". On this layout is a rather large value list (more then 20 items) in check box form. Below this layout I have two buttons.

Its a project tracking database so the first button is "Open Projects" the second "Closed Projects"

My objective is to be able to choose any of the locations listed in the value list by check mark and then press the button for open(incomplete) projects or closed(completed)

Pressing these buttons would run a script that creates a report of what is open or closed.

If I check two check boxes and then press the open projects button I want it to only find those records that are related to my checkbox selection in the report but I don't see how to do it.

I have looked at find Mode-insert calculated result but check boxes aren't calculated or at least I don't know how to tell filemaker to go Get my checkboxes. I tried Perform Find but there is no checkbox function and I don't know where filemaker would have stored those items that were checked. I don't see any way of passing the checkbox's to a script directly either.

the end result would be, Check off as many items as you would like to search for in some type of find statement and click the button to generate the reoprt based on that find.

Akk what am I missing!

Thanks

Jay

• 1. Re: Checkbox reports- How do I get the find function to insert what is checked off
          philmodjunk

There's a question that needs be answered before we can fully solve this, but first some background on a check box formatted field:

When you click two or more items in a check box value list, all such values are stored in the same field separated by carriage returns. The items will be listed in the field in the order in which they were selected by the user not the order shown in the value list.

Example, let's say you have a check box formatted field listing [ ]red [ ]blue [ ]yellow.

If a user clicks "blue" then "red", the values are stored as

blue <return>

red

Now the question:

Let's say a user selects 3 items for their report. Are you wanting to find all records with item 1 AND item 2 AND item 3? Or do you want all items with item 1 OR item 2 OR item 3?

It may clarify things to post an example with actual values to illustrate what you want here as there could be additional issues involved in setting up the correct find request(s).