2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2011 3:47 PM by gldiaz

CheckBox Values

gldiaz

Title

CheckBox Values

I help a little league baseball team. I am needing help on the following:

1. I have a Layout with multiple Tabs.  In the tabs, I have a Category with a series of Check boxes where it looks like this.

The Tab is =    Pitchers / Catchers,  Under it is a selection of Players, i.e.

Johnnie DOE :[] Right hander

[] Left Hander

[] Fast ball pitcher

[] Slow pitch

[] Strong fielder 

Here's my question.  If I chose any or all the fields, can I "On set up, designate each fiedl to have a value come up when I check the

field.?"  Ex. Right handers might be issued a (10),   Left Handers (5), etc. down the list.

So it would look like: [x] Right handers " if checked" shows:         [x] Right handers    = 10

[x] Fast ball pitcher "If checked" shows :      [x] Fast ball pitcher   = 5

Totals: Johnnies (2) checked with a                                                           total of   15.

This would then allow me to learn the strenght and weakness to work on with each player. Therefore can in the 'VALUE LIST" setup

allow to be issued "rating or value numbers" or is there a better way when using a series of check boxes to give them values?

Thanks in advance for any help.

GD

• 1. Re: CheckBox Values
          LaRetta_1

If you use a checkbox to hold the Strength name, you would need a calculation to take each possible strength and assign a value.  This means that the calculation must be opened and changed any time you wish to add a strength.  It will also limit your reporting options as well as require you to hard-code the strengths into a custom value list.  Overall, the maintenance and limitations of such an approach isn't worthwhile.

Instead, I suggest you start this out with a proper relationship where the strengths reside in another table with a value assigned.  The value list then takes these values.  So to add a value, add a record in this Strengths table.  You can also easily change the description of the strength and it will change throughout your system easily.  Also, you are not limited in your report generations; you can group summarize by strength.  You will never need to modify a calculation because it will all be handled in Browse mode.

I have provided a demo file:  http://www.4shared.com/file/O_kU6Gjg/Players.html

• 2. Re: CheckBox Values
            gldiaz

LaRetta,

This looks like a highly acceptable way of getting the info,  I can use.

I'm definitely go to be trying this method out.

I'm new to FMK11 and am in no position of attempting to

hardcode check boxes, to get my requested calculations.

So, thanks for the "eye opening" way, to get the info of which

we can use.

Tks

GD