3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 10:31 AM by philmodjunk

checkbox visibility

nearle01

Title

checkbox visibility

I am working with an archival surgical database.  When it was created many years ago (long before FileMaker), we were restricted to 3 or 4 character codes for surgical procedures.  There are fields which may contain many of these codes, for instance "prior surgeries".  I can expand these codes by using checkboxes.  However, if there are many possible code expansions, it is difficult to see the rather faint x that indicates the one(s) checked for a given record.  How do I make the x stand out?  Making the text bold merely makes the descriptions of the boxes bold, not the x.  Likewise, using a bigger pen size makes the outline of the box darker, again, not the x.  What to do?

Thanks,

Nan

• 1. Re: checkbox visibility
          philmodjunk

You can change the pen (line) color on the Inspector's appearance tab. It sounds like you may have a grey pen color instead of black. You can also make the font size larger.

You might also consider using a script to move this data out of a single field into a set of related records so that you an use a portal to display this information. This allows you to include a scroll bar not possible in a check box formatted field and you can use graphic objects with "hide object when" or text objects with conditional formats to reproduce the check box appearance. You can then set them up as buttons with scripts that replicate the check box functionality.

See the "check boxes with scroll bars" examples in "Adventures in FileMaking #2 - Enhanced Value Selection" for working examples of how you might set this up.

• 2. Re: checkbox visibility
            nearle01

Thanks, Phil.  However, I've been looking on the FileMaker website and have had no luck in finding "Adventures in FileMaking #2 - Enhanced Value Selection".  Where should I look to find it?

Thanks again.

Nan

• 3. Re: checkbox visibility
              philmodjunk

The download link was included in my last post. You just have to click the title. This is a personal creation of mine, it's not in any way produced or endorsed by FileMaker Inc.