2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2012 4:55 AM by Corné

Checkbox-style point of sale

Corné

Title

Checkbox-style point of sale

Hello all,

I'm trying to accomplisch an apparently simple task, nevertheless I still have not succeeded. Please help me out?

I try to make a solution, to rent tools. Since we only rent 3 tools, we like to tick checkboxes to select the tools, say Hammer, Drill, Wheelbarrow. The more days you rent the tools, the higher the discount. Therefor I made a table 'Tools' with three records, each record with an ID, description and 7 fields for each day of the week, where we have entered prices to rent the tool for the corresponding days. There is also a table 'invoices with the client's info (ID) and 3 fields where I would like to see the right prices for the corresponding tools, for the days they are rented.

With two fields the begin and end date is selected, so FM can calculate the number of rental days. Would you please help me out how I get the price for e.g. the drill to rent it for 5 days so I can add the selected tools and the prices on the invoice? I'm unable to find the right way to select field 5 of the second record to lookup the price by selecting the corresponding checkbox.

Thanks in advance!

Corné.

• 1. Re: Checkbox-style point of sale
          davidanders

Customer would be one table   (Clients, People, Contacts)   Customer has many Invoices

Invoice would be one table  -  Invoices contain many Products

Invoice LineItem would be one table - LineItem belongs to one invoice and one product

Products would be one table  (Products, Rentals, Services)  Products will be on many Invoices

You are renting products with prices - hammeroneday, hammertwoday, hammersevenday.

The simpler you make the database (called normalization - normalize) the simpler to create more complexity as you become used to the database.

The first five links in the list here would be useful reads.

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/f6ed4be796?commentId=222931#222931

• 2. Re: Checkbox-style point of sale
            Corné

Hi David,

Thank you for your response. Please let me explain this in a little more detail. I am using a table for Customers, which has many invoices, which in turn has many products. For this particular purpose - renting 3 items - we have chosen not to use the extra table for the many products on a invoice, but to use 3 fields on the invoice itself instead.

My challenge is, how to select a value in the right row of a 3-row table, with the right column as a function of the number of days which is selected to rent an item. Hope that this makes sense?