3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2012 9:10 AM by philmodjunk

Checkboxes

LaurenceHarrould

Title

Checkboxes & Radio buttons not working in FM Pro 12

I've converted my application from FM Pro 11 to FM Pro 12. In all my forms the checkbox fields and radio buttons no longer work. They don't display anything and clicking them does nothing.

If I change the Control Style to any fomat other than checkbox or radio button the data is there and editable.

I've tried recreating the Values List and creating a new control but nothing works.

Help!!!!

I'm using FM Pro 12 Advanced on a Windows XP machine

Thanks

Laurence

• 1. Re: Checkboxes & Radio buttons not working in FM Pro 12
          philmodjunk

Try creating a small test data base with radio buttons and check box groups. Do they work?

If so, launch FileMaker without opening your file and then use the Recover option in the File menu to recover it and see if the recovered copy of the file has the same issue.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          2. Recover does not detect all problems
          3. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          4. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: Checkboxes & Radio buttons not working in FM Pro 12
            LaurenceHarrould

Thanks Phil. Recover didn't seem to do much.

HOWEVER, I downloaded your LayoutObjectVisibilityControlDemo example as I was trying to do something else and found that if I copied and pasted the checkbox from your file I could then change the settings and it worked fine.

If I created a new checkbox it didn't work but copying yours did.

Dunno what this means but it did solve that issue.

Regards

Laurence

• 3. Re: Checkboxes & Radio buttons not working in FM Pro 12
              philmodjunk

Note items 2 and 3 in my list. Recover isn't perfect. It could be that there is an issue with your file and recover can't detect/fix it.

If you were a mac user, I'd suggest checking the font settings as the field copied from my file may specify a different font. Seems less likely in windows--there's a known issue with Mac Os versions Snow Leopard through Lion where a bad or duplicate font suitcase can mess up FileMaker.

Try the following tests:

Add a brand new layout and only add new layout objects to it--don't copy and paste from existing layouts. See if the new layout functions correctly.

Create a small brand new test file and see if it functions correctly.

It may be that your file is damaged, you may just have a bad layout.