2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2011 1:20 PM by plutarch99

Checking for existing entry in Purchase Order

plutarch99

Title

Checking for existing entry in Purchase Order

I am very new to Filemaker Pro so I ask for your patience.  I am creating a purchase order system based around the Invoices starter solution.  I would like to be able to make sure that an item is not entered into a purchase order more than once.  When I enter an item number I would like to scan the portal of the current PO and make sure it is not already in the portal for the PO I am working with.  If I just do a quickfind for the item number then I pick up the item number from other PO's that have already been entered.  Is there a way to limit my search to just the portal I'm currently working with?  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmy

• 1. Re: Checking for existing entry in Purchase Order
          philmodjunk

Did you know there is also a Purchase Orders starter solution?

It might be simpler to set up a validation rule that does allow you to use the same product ID twice in the same portal.

1. Open Manage | Database | Fields
          2. Select the Line Items table in the drop down.
          3. Create a new text field named: InvoiceIDProductID.
          4. Click options, then click the auto-enter tab in the field options dialog that appears
          5. Click the calculation option and enter: Product ID & " " & Invoice ID
          6. Click OK and clear the "Do not replace existing values..." check box.
          7. Click the validation tab and select the Unique Values option.
          8. Click Ok repeatedly to dismiss all the dialogs.
          9. Now, when you enter a product ID the second time in the portal of the same invoice, you'll get an error mesage telling you that this has happened.
          • 2. Re: Checking for existing entry in Purchase Order
            plutarch99

Wow !  Thank you so much.  No only did your solution work it was 100 times more elegant than the method that I was attempting.  Not to mention the fact that you responded in less than 24 hours.  I truly appreciate your help, and I must say that I have been very impressed with the Filemaker program and more importantly the Filemaker community.  Thanks again.

Jimmy