4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2012 12:39 PM by irvherzog

Choosing an address for a mail label

irvherzog

Title

Choosing an address for a mail label

Filemaler Pro Advancd 10

I am trying to set up a print label that uses one of two different addresses. There is a field that allows the user to indicate which address to use, Work or Home. I also want the label to allow text to slide up which I can do with the following: 

I created a field called Label Work and one called Label Home
      Label Work 

<<Company Name>>
      <<Name Full>>
      <<Job Title>>
      <<Address 1 L1>>
      <<Address 1 L2>>
      <<City 1>> <<State 1>> <<ZIP 1>>

or

Label Home

<<Name Full>>
      <<Address 1 L1>>
      <<Address 1 L2>>
      <<City 1>> <<State 1>> <<ZIP 1>>

I have a script that will choose the correct address but how do I get it to use that address on the mailing label?

If [Contacts::Mail To = "Work"]

• 1. Re: Choosing an address for a mail label
          philmodjunk

Are the addresses identical except for the company name?

What you describe as a "field" looks like merge fields placed on a layout. Do you have two layouts, one for "work" and one for "home"?

Are you printing a single label at a time or labels for a group of records where some might be "home" and others "work" address labels?

• 2. Re: Choosing an address for a mail label
            irvherzog

Company address includes Company Name and Job Title. 

The merge fields are not on the layout. I was planning to use them in the labels depending on which address is chosen for the mailing label.

The Work and Home addresses are on the same layout along with the field where you can choose which to use for mailing labels.

Most of the time labels will be for a group of addresses. Sometimes only one label will be needed.

Let me know if something else needs to be cleared up. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Choosing an address for a mail label
              philmodjunk

What you show is a layout design, not a calculation so I had to check to be sure.

Since you are apparently using the same fields for Street, city, state, zip...

Define a calculation field, cAddressLabel, as:

List ( If ( Mail To = "Work" ; List ( CompanyName ; Name Full ; Job Title ) ; Name Full ) ; List ( Address 1 L1 ; Address 1 L2 ; City 1 & " " & State 1 & " " & ZIP 1 ) )

Then place cAccressLabel on your label layout with centered vertical spacing and sized to cover the entire lable.

• 4. Re: Choosing an address for a mail label
                irvherzog

The Work address and Home address contain different fields so this is the AddressLabel Field

Field cAddressLabel:

( If ( Mail To = "Work" ; List ( Company Name ;Name Full ; Job Title ; Address 1 L1 ; Address 1 L2; City 1 & " "  & State 1  & " " &  ZIP 1) ; List ( Name Full ; Address 2 L1; Address 2 L2; City 2 & " " & State 2 & " " & ZIP 2 ) ))

Thank you very much for your help.