1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 4, 2010 1:50 PM by satellite_1

Clarification of Import Options

satellite_1

Title

Clarification of Import Options

I feel a little thick about this one, but I'm having trouble understanding the import options with respect to overwriting fields in target records. Can someone confirm that I understand this properly. Here's how I think things work. I'm using FMP 8 on a Mac OS 10.5.8.

All fields in the target database are set to: always validate, require value, allow override

When importing data from an Excel file, using "Update Matching Records," the import behavior for any fields marked with the "Import This Field" arrow will be:

1. If the target field is empty and the source field contains data, the target field will be overwritten.

2. If the target field contains data and the source field contains data, the target field will be overwritten.

3. If the target field is empty and the source field is empty, no change will be made to the target field.

4. If the target field contains data and the source field is empty, no change will be made to the target field.

In the case of 3 and 4 above, does this mean that other fields for this record will be left unchanged as well? Does the failed validation of an attempt to import "emptiness" into one field cancel the import of the rest of the fields in that record? 

Thanks for any help.  

• 1. Re: Clarification of Import Options
          satellite_1

Ugh. After some testing and more reading, I see that the answer to my last question is:

Note  Unlike all other validation options, the Not empty or Validated by calculation options are evaluated when FileMaker Pro attempts to commit each record. Therefore, these types of validation failures cause the entire record to be skipped. (All the other field validation options are evaluated when FileMaker Pro attempts to commit each field.) 

So, I can't figure out how to do the following:

Import matching records into a database such that any blank fields in the source will not overwrite any fields in the target but that any populated fields in the source will replace corresponding fields in the target whether they are populated or not?

Any hints?