AnsweredAssumed Answered

Clarification of Import Options

Question asked by satellite_1 on Feb 4, 2010
Latest reply on Feb 4, 2010 by satellite_1

Title

Clarification of Import Options

I feel a little thick about this one, but I'm having trouble understanding the import options with respect to overwriting fields in target records. Can someone confirm that I understand this properly. Here's how I think things work. I'm using FMP 8 on a Mac OS 10.5.8.

All fields in the target database are set to: always validate, require value, allow override

When importing data from an Excel file, using "Update Matching Records," the import behavior for any fields marked with the "Import This Field" arrow will be:

1. If the target field is empty and the source field contains data, the target field will be overwritten.

2. If the target field contains data and the source field contains data, the target field will be overwritten.

3. If the target field is empty and the source field is empty, no change will be made to the target field.

4. If the target field contains data and the source field is empty, no change will be made to the target field.

In the case of 3 and 4 above, does this mean that other fields for this record will be left unchanged as well? Does the failed validation of an attempt to import "emptiness" into one field cancel the import of the rest of the fields in that record? 

Thanks for any help.  

Outcomes