2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2014 7:27 AM by sccardais

Clarification re: Scripted Finds with global fields

sccardais

Title

Clarification re: Scripted Finds with global fields

There's an excellent post on this site with examples of Scripted finds that involve the use of global fields but this page from FileMaker's site says that globals cannot be used if the file is shared.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5895/~/working-with-global-fields

My file will ultimately be shared. What is the best approach to scripted finds if the file will be shared?

I was planning to store standard search terms as records in a separate table: Globals. 

• 1. Re: Clarification re: Scripted Finds with global fields
          philmodjunk

Global fields can be used if the file is shared and your scripted finds will work just fine. The thing that differs with global fields and a hosted file is that a client of the database cannot make lasting changes to the value of a global field just be editing it and changes made to a global field by one user are not visible to other users.

For a scripted find, this is exactly what you want as it keeps one user's search from interfering with another when they enter their criteria into a global field.

The "You can't use global fields" entry is misleading. You can't enter find mode and enter search criteria into a global field whether the file is shared or not. But as these scripts demonstrate, you CAN enter find criteria into global fields while in Browse mode, then have the script enter find mode and use the criteria in the global fields to produce the needed find requests for your search of your database.

• 2. Re: Clarification re: Scripted Finds with global fields
            sccardais

Thanks for clarification. Exactly what I needed to know.